THIRTY FIVE

"This makes no sense," staring at the unlocked door of Zara's apartment, I frowned to myself

"Maybe she left in a hurry?" Jade supplied from behind, although it wasn't hard to hear the uncertainty in her voice.

"She would never leave her door unbolted like this. She isn't that careless." Zara was anything but careless. She was smart, guarded, and cautious. There was no way she would do something so stupid.

"It's possible she only went to some nearby place. Groceries?"

Now, that was a possibility worth considering, but something still didn't add up.

"Still doesn't make sense. The second Danny sent me the location, we drove straight here. There's no way she came home, did what she needed, and left in ten minutes. Something is not right."

"You're thinking too much into this," I heard her sigh, before she walked past me, grazed her manicured fingers at the new lock Zara had installed and looked around. "Ah, there it is," she pointed at the CCTV cameras near the elevator. "We should check into that. Maybe we find something that has to do with your pretty little lady."

"Don't call her that!" I grunted, tossing her a warning glare.

"Why? Is she not pretty?" she teased with a lopsided grin, crossing her arms over her chest. "Or a lady?"

Not pretty? Huh. One had to be blind to not see she was the most gorgeous woman in the world. Her blue eyes were like the pools of some other world that I always found myself losing in. Her lips were the softest. And most importantly, it was her heart, so naïve, so beautiful, so addictive.

"The way you say it sounds like you're mocking her. I don't like that." I said to her instead, which was kind of true. I didn't like my woman being mocked, something simmered in my chest every time she tried to do that.

"Ooh. Already so possessive of her? Is she going to be Mrs Richmond soon?" But of course, she continued with her ridiculous banter while I couldn't stop growing restless.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves," she probably didn't know that Zara already rejected me twice. The nerve of that woman. There were all kinds of women ready to throw themselves at me no matter for a night, and then there was Zara, who ran at the first chance at the mention of marriage.

Tugging at the sleeve of my shirt, I scowled at the CCTV camera. "Why are you still standing here? Go, check the footage and tell me if you find something."

She chuckled before wiping the smile off her face. "Sure, boss."

Once Jade left, I pulled my phone out and dialled a number.

"Mr Richmond," the man greeted way too brightly for my head to not hurt. "It's been long. Is everything fine?"

"Cut the crap, Brian. I just called to know if Zara dropped by the restaurant today. I told you to keep an eye on her. Do not disappoint me."