THREE

A little lie hurt no one, right?

Since a very young age, I'd struggled to contain my ever-growing temper. I still do. I don't know. Maybe something is wrong with me. Maybe the nerves shooting emotions into the brain are shorter and faster in my case. Or maybe folks are just plain stupid. Could be anything, really. Like every other person in the world, I have my limitations. I don't like myself, don't think anyone does. Not with the temper that I always bristle with. After all, people stay away from those who make a scene. And the experience I have in the said department, it's impossible to break that record.

But causing a scene and drawing unwanted attention to yourself doesn't happen out of a hobby. No one enjoys the look of 'what a weirdo' people define them with. No one. Trust me.

But sometimes, you just don't have a choice.

Or control, in my case.

Although this time, there is a legit reason to support my actions.

For the last few years, the men from R & R Developers have been trying to persuade my mom to sell her property to them. There have been multiple offers and some of them really got us thinking. But the answer to all their efforts always remained a huge no.

Why?

Because there is no place like home. That's why. Not every structure made of bricks and stones can make you feel like you belong. Not every house welcomes you with the warmth that makes you feel protected. For mom and me, this home is all we have. And all we'd ever need.

So, yeah, we have had several offers to sell our property. And every time, we turned them down. However, the company's approach has become far more aggressive in recent months. It began with vague threats that none of us took seriously. Mom and I had dealt with enough bullies in our lives, including my father and his new family, so the act of intimidation never worked on us. We slept soundly. But we should have known it was just the beginning of what they had in store for us.

It happened in my absence and I had a strong feeling it was probably deliberate.

The company sent a couple of dangerous-looking men to our house a few days ago. Tall, broad, and armed. However, none of them used weapons. I doubt they intended it either. But the sheer sight of all that impacted my mother. She was terrified. And signed the documents right away.

I have been livid ever since.

All of this happened four days ago. And the reality is, it's just been two days since I attempted to contact the CEO of R & R Developers. My flight to New York was delayed due to some technicalities, and by the time I arrived at the company's tower, Maddox Richmond had already left. I found his home address through sheer luck and Google. But he wasn't there either. The older man who opened the door was kind enough to make a phone call on my behalf. While I waited outside in the garden, appreciating the vast green view, the old man returned and advised that I look for the owner at the office rather than at home.