SIXTY FOUR

It's odd how often I have driven by her house, but never really cared to turn my head and look

It's odd how often I have driven by her house, but never really cared to turn my head and look. But now that I stand in front of it, I know why she fought so hard to take it back.

The house is nothing out of a fairy tale. It's decently constructed, has only one floor and is yellow. Not just any yellow but the one that makes you question why someone would do that to their house. Do they not love it? Is that supposed to be a punishment for the eyes of the beholder? How could a house be so yellow? It's literally tormenting.

But maybe it's because I have known Zara long enough that I can tell you for sure this is just her way of showing a middle finger to the world. A message in capital letters that she doesn't care about and can't be bothered by the opinions of others. She's gonna be herself no matter what and the rest of the world can simply fuck themselves.

If one can look past the yellowness of the house, one would see the details that make this house a home. There's a picket fence surrounding the entire place, and a swing stationed at the porch. The front yard is just the right kind of green and there are string lights wrapped around the trunks of the trees, the trees that protect the house from the outrageous heat of the sun. I can't help but imagine Zara sitting under one of those and reading a book while the cool breeze played with her platinum locks. There are lanterns adorning the porch and more string lights wrapped around the wooden rails. There are flowers in the garden and birdhouses dangling from the branches of the trees. Her home is the perfect example of what we say "made with love".

And now I feel like a fool because a person who grew up in a place this real, why would they go for something else that's just fake and pretentious and show off?

"This woman will be the death of me, I swear!" Nathan exclaims and yanks me back to reality.

I blink and turn around to find him staring at his phone and muttering under his breath.

I check the time. It's been over fifteen minutes since Zachary and Kevin walked inside to talk with Zara while Nathan and I stayed outside, waiting for them to be done.

"What's taking them so long?" There's an uncomfortable feeling in my chest. The one that I can't shake off. It may be because Zara is so close and I can't even muster up the courage to look her in the eyes. I don't know why I'm out of my game since she left. I don't know why I'm constantly worried about screwing something up.

I have already done the worst. What more can I possibly do?

Yet something holds me back every time I decide to knock on the door and be a part of the conversation that's going on inside. Maybe it's the construction site laid all around the house, a cruel reminder of what really I had tried to take away from her and haven't felt guilty even once. No doubt she can't forgive me for what I have done to her. If I had destroyed this place for just about anything, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself either.

"Oh, come on!" Nathan shouts again and this time I can't resist my curiosity.

"What's up with you?" I ask him, wondering what got his panties in a twist.