NINETEEN

"To a new beginning

"To a new beginning." I raised the toast. "Cheers!" And took a sip, grinning to myself and watching her as the look on her face turned from annoyed to skeptical, before a small glimpse of panic shone in her baby-blue eyes.

By the time I put the glass back on the small dining table where I stood presently, she had already taken a step back.

"Why exactly are you here, Maddox?" she asked, slightly panicked, mostly suspicious.

It did not slip my mind that it was the first time she called me by my first name. I decided at that moment that I quite liked it that way. My name on her soft plump lips. As I remembered the way they tasted that night at her place, in her bedroom, on her bed, blood prompted in the south.

God, this woman could make a man horny just by saying his name.

"Why don't you make an educated guess?" I hummed nonchalantly and shifted my gaze from her to the rest of the room around.

It was a decent two-bedroom apartment.

The walls were bland. No paintings. No picture frames. Nothing on the name of the decoration. But the colour of the paint was easy on the eyes, something I found myself awfully grateful for. I hated bright, sparkly colours, so much I couldn't stand them. They made me feel sick from the inside.

As I looked further, an average dark brown sofa set took up most of the space in the living room. It would be a lie to say it didn't look snug as fuck. After the long tiring day, my legs were practically begging me to take a seat and chill. And it looked like an excellent place to rest my muscles.

However, the curiosity to explore her apartment weighed more than anything. The idea of seeing the place she would stay from now on rushed a burst of excitement through my bones. I did not quite understand it, but I liked the feeling. It was warm, certain and electrifying all at once.

Maybe it was because, for the past few months, she had been staying at a friend's place. Of course, I was the one responsible for forcing her to seek help from others, but the idea of her staying with another man did something peculiar to my chest. I couldn't imagine how any sane man could keep their hands off her, especially when they lived under the same roof.

Unless they were gay.

But even then, I hated the idea of having any other men around her. It was just not fair. Not to me, at least. I wanted this woman all for myself. I wanted to possess her to her very last bones.

I wanted to possess her soul.

"Look," she said with an unmistakable sass. "If you're here to get even after what happened at the wedding. Let me remind you, you've done much worse."

"Oh, I haven't forgotten," I told her with the corner of my lips curling up. "All my endeavours to bring you to your knees were a tremendous success. You know what? Next time, maybe we can raise a toast to that. What say?"