SIXTY THREE

"How long are you gonna sulk?" Nathan asked, and the whim to throw him out of the car was exhausting

"I'm NOT sulking." Without saving him a single glance, I told him as calmly as possible. I looked outside the window instead and searched for a familiar face.

Five minutes ago, we pulled up outside the police headquarters. Zachary and his brother, Kevin, were supposed to meet us here. For now, all I could see were cops and irrelevant people moving in and out of the building. No sign of the Gracias family.

"And not growing any younger, either." Nathan deadpanned, and I finally decided to fix him whatever glare.

"Did you just make a joke about my age?" That should be hardly any concern to me. Especially when mom did it all the time. But since the moment I woke up this morning, I hadn't been in the mood to take anyone's shit. It might have had something to do with the fact Zara ended everything between us yesterday and left for good. Actually, fuck that! My mood was spoiled because of the precise reason. No reason to lie about that.

I frowned when Nathan held a hand up, asking me to be quiet while he slapped the phone to his ear and waited. After no one answered the call, his expression pinched, and he brought the phone back down. He turned to face me. "Yeah. So. Where was I?"

I rolled my eyes and looked straight, not willing to get into his shitty sense of humour all over again. "Nothing."

He hummed, amused. "I guess the old age is catching up to you sooner than we thought."

Not again. "I'm not even that old," I grunted. "You're like two years younger than me. If I'm old, you're too."

"Nope!" He shook his head, grinning. "When you'll be seventy with no teeth and a bald patch on your head, I'll be 68 and still younger."

Was he really my brother? I frowned and turned to look at him as if he lost his brain. "That makes no sense."

"Exactly—" he said proudly before cutting himself off and undoing his seat belt. "They are here. Let's go."

A white car rolled up right next to ours. Once Nathan and I stepped out of the car, Zachary and Kevin came into view. By the look on their faces, it was obvious they still had found nothing on Armonica. Which bothered me as well. If what Brandon told us—after Zachary and his men rescued him from an abandoned cabin outside the city—was true, Armonica should have been with Zara. But she was not. Zara confirmed that.

Zachary greeted us with a nod.

Kevin was the first one to speak. "Thanks for showing up. You really didn't have to."

Before I could say something, Zachary scoffed and rolled his eyes. "You know what I think? I think it's the least he could do." He settled his dark eyes on me, seething. "After all, it's because of his shenanigans, our sister is caught in the middle of this spat between him and that psychopath."