FORTY FOUR

Boiling with wild anger, I wanted nothing more than to punch that asshole of a father of hers and smother that bastard with my bare hands

Boiling with wild anger, I wanted nothing more than to punch that asshole of a father of hers and smother that bastard with my bare hands. I should have done more than just break that wrist of his. I should have cut that arm right off.

The nerve of that motherfucker!

Oh, how I wanted to strangle him and watch the light disappear from his eyes. The urge was almost like a drug in my veins. My muscles strained with the need to grab him by the collar and beat the crap out of him.

Shit!

The last time I felt this kind of rage pounding throughout my body was when Emily disappeared and I got the text from her abductor. That fucking serial killer who was still on the loose. The man that I wanted to end, the consequences be damned.

How dare that asshole hit Zara? How dare he?

And how could she take the beating? Was all her bravery and attitude only for me? How did she let that happen to her? Why did she? How could her mother?

"Maddox!" I heard her shout, but I continued my pace. I couldn't stop. I had to put an end to this. No one gets to hurt her. No one. Not her father. Not even me. I had been none less an asshole to her, but I could never hurt her. Could never even dream about it. Never. All my life, I had seen my father abuse my mom—verbally and psychologically—that I was done with this shit. I had to make sure it never happened again. Like I made sure with my father.

"Stop!"

I didn't even realize when she took over my pace and now stood at the bottom of the stairs, blocking my path. I didn't want to stop. But I had to. She left me no choice. Huffing out an agitated breath, I ran a hand through my hair and barked.

"Don't tell me to stop. I'll have that fucker bend on his knees and beg for mercy." I spat those words out, feeling every inch of my skin prickle with frustration. Even though she was right in front of me, all I could see was red. Fucking red was everywhere.

My entire body froze like a fucking ice dummy when she told me to not leave her alone.

Despite no intention of changing my plans to have that fucker fifty feet under the ground, my feet came to an absolute standstill.

"Don't leave me, Maddox." Emily's voice echoed in my head. "Don't leave me alone."

It was only when Zara's hands cupped my face that I realized I zoned out. For how long, I had no fucking clue. Neither was I in the right mindset to process all that.

"Hey, are you still here?" Zara whispered. Her fingers curled around my wrist. "Maddox, you're scaring me. Are you—"

"I'm fine," I said to her and felt the instant need to be alone.

"If you say so," she took her hand away, and it surprised me how much I already missed her warmth against my skin. After I forced her to sign the marriage contract that night, I wasn't stupid enough to think she would want to be anywhere near me, willingly or not. And as much as I appreciated her cooperation at my family gathering a few days back, I knew she had something in mind.