FIVE

"I have nothing to tell you

"I have nothing to tell you. Simply get out of my restaurant!" Nicholas Samuel snapped with an angry sneer, pointing his fat finger at the door.

I wish I could tell you I knew what was going on here.

I couldn't.

Nicholas Samuel was the owner of the restaurant where I worked, and I was the manager until he arrived at work this morning in a terrible mood and abruptly fired me. I only took three days off, and when I returned to work, this jerk sacked me in front of the entire crew.

What's with people humiliating me these days?

I had been enraged ever since the incident at Richmond's office. When I went to visit him the next day, as I had promised, he had taken a flight to New Jersey for an urgent meeting.

I knew he was warding me off.

What a wimp!

"But—I don't understand. How could you—how could this—what have I done? Is it because I took three days off from work? Is this—" extending his hand to signal me to be quiet, he didn't let me finish.

"It's not about you damn leave, God! It's about your performance. There are complaints about you. Customers don't even want to see your face. We are losing business just because you can't keep your attitude shut, not even for a second," he yelled through gritted teeth.

He was lying. I loved my job. I was always extra courteous to the customers. Sure, I had an anger problem, and I did foolish things whenever rage took over, but I never, ever took my rage out on a customer in my whole career. In fact, my workplace was the only place I never even lost my cool. I had no idea what the hell this man was on about. He had to be high on something to make up something so ridiculous.

"Are you seriously blaming me for losing business?" I had to make sure he actually said what I heard. Why was he being so cruel? After three years of my loyalty and dedicated work, was that how he would treat me? Like I was fucking nobody?

"What in the world are you talking about?" To be honest, I wasn't getting a thing he was saying. My head hurt and my eyes threatened to fall shut if I stayed awake a minute more.

Rubbing my temples to ease the pulsating throb, I tried to calm down.

"There must be some sort of misunderstanding. I did my work with all of my heart and soul. I'm committed. Hard-working. And I barely take a break. I gave three years of my life to this business. It's not fair to just chuck me out. I deserve to know why you're firing me without at least a week's notice. I am entitled to an explanation. Only then will I accept my dismissal."

After those determined words left my mouth, I took a deep breath in. I had no plan to lose this job. I had worked far too hard to get it. Not to mention that it was the only restaurant within 10 miles that could provide me the salary I needed to support my mother. I couldn't imagine the hardships she had been through raising me in this world, which had been nothing but cold and unkind to her.