Chapter 7: Strange Encounters

Author's Note: Hello, everyone! I'm writing this chapter two hours after I posted "A New Acquaintance" because I know my body wouldn't let me sleep if I don't continue the feast. I have a disease. Also, Lorcan Rosby is portrayed by Freddie Highmore. I still don't own Game of Thrones but enjoy this story, regardless.

Long Live the Boy-King

Chapter Seven: Strange Encounters

Lorcan's Point of View

My mother always told me fairytales when I was little. Before I go to bed, I would ask her to tuck me in and tell me about the brave knights who save damsels in distress. I would always wonder if fairies were real and if they grant wishes to little boys. My mother would tell me stories about the powerful gods and the beautiful goddesses that rule all over us. I used to believe in her stories, hoping that one day I will save my own damsel in distress. I slept thinking how I will find my own fairy that will grant my own wishes. I would sometimes look up the sky wishing that a beautiful goddess would look back down. But fairytales and myths will remain fairytales and myths, irrelevant and childish. As I grow up, I became fascinated with swords and daggers and armors. I would spend most of my time fighting or hunting. And most of the time, I spent forgetting the bedtime stories that Mother once told me.

But tonight, as the loud clattering of utensils invade my ears, as the quiet whispers pierce through the silence, and all eyes and ears are on her, I start to question my beliefs again. She is definitely not a damsel in distress. No wings or magic wands, either. She doesn't have powers like a goddess but she definitely looked like one. Her eyes are bright like sapphires, like the sea on a sunny day. Her hair is like little waves that flow down her shoulders and back. Her smile is the sweetest thing I have witnessed. She is perfect in every way. Even the sound of her name is magical and extraordinary.

Corabella Doreen.

Mother has been chatting with her for quite a while, asking her questions about her city and if she is betrothed to someone. She looked at me when the beautiful Corabella said no. Mother loves playing matchmaker but I didn't have time for that. They continued talking and laughing but all I did was look at her. I watched how her curls bounce whenever she laughs at something my mother said. I watched how she licked her plump pink lips before she tells a story. I looked at her hands and noticed how graceful she gestures around her to give emphasis on a certain detail. But most of all, I looked at her eyes. The bluest eyes I have ever seen in the world. I wonder how she looks in proper light, with the sun illuminating her already bright eyes. Her gaze is powerful, luring me into her like I'm some kind of prey. The funny thing is, I want myself to be lured. From time to time, she would look at me and smile as my mother brags about my achievements. I'd smile back at her in a goofy manner and she wouldn't notice. Whenever she moves, I could inhale her sweet scent. A mixture of carnations and vanilla.

"Lorcan is a skilled fighter, you know?" Mother said, snapping me out of my trance at the sound of my name. "He's been playing with a sword since he was seven." Corabella looked at me with a wider smile on her face. She must be interested in fighting, a rare fascination for a beautiful Lady to have. I took this opportunity to brag for a little bit.

"Yeah. I mean, it's nothing really but I'm a good hunter. I have been hunting when I reached eight. My father taught me," I said as my father laughed in a jolly manner. "When I reached fourteen, I started joining tournaments. I've never lost until now." I laid back coolly before asking her, "How about you? You seem interested in this topic. You must be educated in the art of combat." I grabbed my glass of wine and took a sip before setting it back to the table.