Chapter 24: A Turn of Events

Author's Note: Since Christmas break is now upon us, I am pleased to tell you that my time will now be mostly spent on writing and binge-watching "House". Any fans out here? Haha. Anyway, stick 'til the second Author's Note below for some longer announcements and such. Nothing serious, though. So, this is the twenty-fourth chapter!(?) I hope you guys enjoy it. (Game of Thrones is still NOT mine)

Long Live the Boy-King

Chapter Twenty-Four: A Turn of Events

"What do you think you're doing?" My heart instantly raced at the sound of her voice. Alarm signals rang in my head. I knew I was in trouble. But how? How did my mother find out when we were so careful? We were in the most secluded part in the castle, or so I've been told. I shouldn't have been too sure. My mother's eyes are that of a hawk's. She's watching me these past few days and I did notice. I shouldn't have given in to temptation of rebelling. But I guess it's too late now.

She grabbed me harshly by the arm and spun me around before I could do that myself. I could have taken a breath or blinked twice to see a clear view of her face but her other hand was too fast. Before I could even process the events happening before me, my face was thrown to my side and my cheek was burning in pain. With my free hand, I tried to wipe away the marks of her palm but it didn't help. Before I could stop myself from looking so vulnerable, my own tears mocked me treacherously.

"What has gotten in to you?" Mother said. I did not dare look into her eyes, I know that the fire behind her orbs would be enough to burn me into a disgusting pile of ash. The guilt creeped up my spine and I didn't know which was more painful, my bruising cheek or my breaking heart? "We did not come here for the King to creep between your legs and you should know better!" Her voice was shaking in anger. I still did not look.

"I love him," was all I managed to say through tears. I felt her freeze at my words and I know I did, too. Did I mean what I said? Do I love the Boy-King when he is nowhere close to my standards? Right now, I wasn't sure of myself. I was fooled by our kisses, by my fantasies. Lorcan's absence was another thing, I couldn't train and distract myself.

Just as I started lifting my head to level with my mother's gaze, it was once again threw to the side. It was more painful now that I admitted it, how pathetic I am. The guilt dug deep into my guts now that clarity unveiled itself to me. No matter how long I hide between iron shields, no matter how much blood I draw from men, no matter how physically bruised I am from all the duels I face for my own hand, my heart is still as weak as it is. How pathetic it is, truly, for a fighter to be defeated by her own sentiments.

Mother let go of my arm and pushed me away from her. I stumbled on my feet, almost losing my balance. I was sobbing now, I haven't sobbed for years. "What makes him so different?" she asked. I didn't answer because I didn't know what else to say. If I told her that Tommen has a real beating heart, it wouldn't be enough. For all she knows, I do not go after someone's emotions, I wanted those who could protect me. "You won't see him after this," she said with a stern voice. My head snapped up to her direction and tried to protest but I knew she already defeated me. "You are going to have a husband of your own by tomorrow, someone willing to fight for you and not hide you from his subjects. I don't want to speak about this matter anymore."

She turned to walk away and leave me there until I spoke up. "I will never be happy and you will indulge in that, Mother. You must hate me right now for not being a perfect daughter."

She turned, glaring daggers at my direction. This time I didn't look away, I can't let her see how fragile I am even though I gave away that fact earlier. "He's getting married for the love of heavens!" she practically shrieked. Of course he is, why did I block that fact before? Was I really that blind to see that we're not living a fairytale, which for once, I can be with whomever I want to be? Why did I forget about Margaery? Then again, I couldn't blame myself, his kisses were toxic. Mother and I engaged in a staring contest before she finally breathed in, closed her eyes, and found a calmer tone. "I'm not going to mention anything to anyone. Whatever happened, whatever I saw, it remains between you and me. But you will play by my rules and you will not see him in secret again. Besides training and formal events, you will not be interacting with the King. Behave now before it's all too late, Corabella. Your head is too pretty to be on a spike." With that, she said nothing more and I watched her silhouette grow farther and farther into the distance.