Chapter 28: Reborn in Defeat

Author's Note: I am, yet again, apologizing for a very late update. My excuse this time is being addicted to Supernatural. I guess tumblr influenced me to check the show out and I instantly jumped into the hellhole, downloaded all the episodes, and watched ten years' worth of heartbreaks and plot twists in a matter of three weeks. Now I am dreading to watch the episode to come this week. Any fans here as well? Anyway, here is another chapter which I hope you will enjoy! (I still DO NOT own Game of Thrones)

Long Live the Boy-King

Chapter Twenty-eight: Reborn in Defeat

Corabella's Point of View

I don't remember falling asleep. In fact, my memories of the past few hours are muddled up and my head hurts when I try to remember where I am. I am once again engulfed in darkness, once again in the middle of nowhere. There was nothing to see, just pure pitch black. I can't move either. Am I dead? No, I can feel my heart beating.

Thump, thump, thump.

Slowly, I tried to move my fingers even though I have no idea if they're still there. Easy now. Yes, I still have ten on each hand. My palms are sweaty, too.

Suddenly, I hear a faint sound in the distance. Good, I guess. I still have the sense of hearing. The sound grew much more concrete. It's like a fingernail being tapped against wood. There was no pattern to the taps, no rhythm. It moved closer and closer, vanished, then resumed once more. This time, it was like a dull pin trying to punch a hole on the surface of a glass. Twenty-four little taps, I counted in my head, but like before, it stopped.

There was something pecking on my cheek.

"Ah!" In an instant, I saw bright light coming from my windows, from the balcony, but I was alone. I sat up immediately and felt the springs on my bed bob up and down from my rushed moved. I looked around and realized that I am in my room. It's about noon now, judging by the sun's harsh rays. I must have overslept. Strange because I am an early riser.

"Ouch," I gasped when the white Raven beside me pecked on the back of my hand. "Sussurratore." Abrielle's Raven visited once again. It's been a while since we last talked. The last message I sent her was before the... Before the... my head throbbed and sent a jolt of pain up to the tips of my fingers. I plamed the back of my head which hurt the most. "I'm patched up?" The Raven tilted its head to the side as if curious of my current state.

I shook the feeling off and propped my legs down on the side of my bed. The Raven presented me the parchment rolled on its leg and I proceeded to untie it and roll it open.

Auntie

My sister, Abrielle, is unable to reply to you as she is quite worked up with the new baby but I assure you that all of us here are praying for Corabella's recovery. We hope she wakes up soon. But please, Auntie, don't neglect your health. In moments like these, I'm sure you are devoting most of your time to taking care of her however, she wouldn't like it either if you fall ill. We will be awaiting your return soon.

Kisses from Bedoco,

Glendon

"We hope she wakes up soon? What does that mean?" I asked mostly myself.

As if on cue, my brother, Gino, opened the door to my chambers while holding a tray of food. He was too focused on balancing the thing on his hands that he didn't notice me until he sat it down on the nearby table. The moment he turned, his face grew pale and his jaw touched the ground. "Sorella?"