1

First time reader check-in 🐺

Returning reader check-in 🦇

***

His pulse is banging in his ears. Smells are overwhelming in the forest. Pine, berries, dirt, rabbits. It is all about the rabbits for him. He wants to eat, and he is starving. Wind catches his fur, disturbing the trail he has been on for the last hour. He looks up, watching the moon shine back at him. He is comforted by its pale light. He'll find the rabbit, fill his belly, and then lay his head down. He'll change into something else and be caught for another month.

Caught until the next full moon.

I adjusted the straps on my backpack a little, feeling the nerves pump through my veins

I adjusted the straps on my backpack a little, feeling the nerves pump through my veins. This was a bad idea. Such a bad idea. Why I was doing this was beyond me. Why did I even need to assimilate? I changed into a monster once a month. Did monsters even need degrees?

I had signed up for this course for some kind of normality. I was thinking maybe it'd cannonball me into actually having a life and not just staying at home and binge watching the same tv-series over and over again.

I couldn't stay emo and sad forever. Hermit life wasn't a life. But was uni really the answer? It had been a 'spur of the moment' kind of thing. An ad had popped up while I was doom scrolling through social media and some kind of crazy thing had happened and I signed up. Moved my whole life from the big city to this place. A small town that basically revolved around the university. The school had gotten here first and then alumni would build houses around it because they didn't want to leave. Sounded weird, but it was a cute town now. And I had managed to get a small house with the rest of my inheritance. At least the housing market wasn't out to get me here.

It did feel like the school was out to get me though. The hairs on the back of my neck kept rising and I couldn't figure out why. I did have better senses after getting bitten and I had been able to avoid getting in the middle of a fight in a bar once because of those senses, but them going off now in the middle of the quad in front of the university, made zero sense.