23

"Abel," I said as I buried my teeth in a slice of pizza

"Yeah?" He looked up at me from his position on the sofa, his head resting in my lap.

"I met another wolf. In the forest. She was the one who helped me home."

He frowned and sat up, looking like he wanted to say something, but struggling to find the right words.

"How come you didn't tell me before now?"

I shrugged a little, looking down at the pizza slice, picking a little at it. "I don't know. I just had a feeling I shouldn't tell anyone about her, but I don't like lying either. And an omission of truth is lying."

"You got those clothes from her too?"

I nodded without looking up. "I'm sorry for lying."

He sighed deeply. I glanced up at him, but he was staring at the telly. We didn't say anything for a good while. Then he sighed again and looked at me.

"Don't lie to me again," he said very seriously.

"I promise."

"Anything else? You're getting a free pass here. If there's anything else you think you should tell me, now's your chance."

"She said other wolves come through her end of the forest. If I'm not the murderer, maybe another wolf is."

"So, she might know something." Abel frowned. "We should ask her."

"I don't know. I think she wants to be left alone."

"If asking her about this could once and for all kill all rumours of the killer being you, wouldn't you wanna do it?"

I bit the inside of my cheek and shrugged. "Maybe."

"I think we should do it."

"Right."

He took my hand in his and gave it a squeeze. "I believe you. I trust you. I also know you well enough by now to know, you're still not trusting yourself. There's still doubt surrounding whether or not you're the killer. And more than anything I wanna bring you some peace."

I arched a brow at him.

"Don't act surprised. I've noticed you've been more fidgety than you were at the beginning. I notice shit, alright?"

I snorted and nodded. "No, you're right. I've been really on edge in these last few weeks."

He put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me close. I was still holding on to the pizza but now put the box on the small coffee table in front of my couch.

"And, maybe this woman knows something. The least we can do is ask, right? And the worst answer we can get is like... A no."

"I'd say the worst would be her being like 'oh yeah, you're the killer'," I muttered.