36

Gary was laying in my lap, and I was about to cry because she never wanted to be near me for longer periods of time

Gary was laying in my lap, and I was about to cry because she never wanted to be near me for longer periods of time. But she was napping, purring and I was running my fingers over her orange fur. She was so soft and occasionally, she'd lift her head, eyes still closed, only to lick her paw or tail and then go back to napping.

"Don't know if it's weird, but I'm slightly turned on seeing you with my cat? But not like in a sexual way. Like in a love way. A love hard-on," Abel said and sat down on his sofa, right next to me. He put his arm around me and sunk into the dark leather, slinging his feet onto the coffee table.

"Your way of putting it is art," I chuckled and leaned against him a little. Gary opened her eyes, meowed and then rose to her feet, stretching her little body. And then she left my lap to go sit in Abel's.

"Aww, Gary, no," Abel kind of laughed and whined at the same time. "You were bonding with Gael, baby."

"It's alright. She clearly has favourites."

"I mean..." Abel chuckled a little. "Dave likes you better too."

"Dave is a twelve-year-old puppy I've had since he was six weeks old. Maybe it's not that weird he favours me." I winked at my boyfriend.

"Dork," he muttered under his breath. "How long is he expected to live? Isn't twelve quite old?"

"It is, but the vet says he has a lot of good years left still." It was as if Dave's ears were burning because his little paws click-clacked against the hardwood floors from the bedroom to the living room. His tail was wagging all over the place and he jumped up, joining us on the sofa, going directly for my hand, resting in my lap, poking his nose at it.

"Did you hear us say your name?" I asked softly and scratched him behind his ear. He turned on his back, exposing his little tummy, desperately wanting me to scratch that.

"Maybe it's alright the kids have favourites, as long as we don't," Abel said then.

I nodded and smiled at my puppy, that really wasn't a puppy anymore, but would always be a puppy to me.

A knock on the door pulled us out of our chill-time, and Abel sighed as he almost had to peel himself off the sofa.

"Mum..." I heard from the front door.

I rose from the sofa too and tentatively went to see. A very tall lady stood in the door, embracing Abel. She had the same black hair as him, but hers was completely straight, where his had some waves in them. She had the same golden skin tone as well, and when she pulled back, taking her son's face in her hands, I could see, she had given him her eyes and cheek bones too.

She smiled and then she looked at me, as if she had known I was there this entire time.

"Hello," she said, her voice super smooth. I don't know what I had expected. Maybe her voice being a bit hoarse? Instead, it was really soft.