26

Abel and I were on our way to the cafeteria when Fred came out from that building, stomping towards us like a horse

Abel and I were on our way to the cafeteria when Fred came out from that building, stomping towards us like a horse. She grabbed my and Abel's arm and just said "nope", turned us around and got us to walk in the opposite direction.

"Neither of you wanna go in there today." Her whole face was dark, and she seemed so off.

"What's wrong?" I asked, nerves making my heart jump into my throat.

"Another body was found, and you don't wanna hear what's being said in there. Let's just go and get some coffee." She didn't let go of us and neither of us looked like we wanted to fight her on this. We went to the tuk-tuk and sat down by the stone tables.

"So, what're they saying?" I asked, just wanting to burst that bubble.

"It's Liam and his asshole crew. They sat down by mine and Creek's table and started speaking so loudly about how you've been at it again."

"Where's Creek?" Abel asked and looked around, as if Creek was just hiding somewhere.

"Went to the bathroom to calm down. He was close to screaming at them. Like, banshee screaming."

I cringed a little. But underneath that cringe and the anger, there was a sense of pride in my friends too. They had been so mad because someone was saying mean stuff about me. And it was a little warped to be thinking about that at that moment, but I couldn't help it. I felt protected.

"I uh... Might've dumped my tray on Liam too," Fred said then and bit down on her bottom lip. "There was chili con carne in there. Now it's in his lap."

"Chili con Liam," Abel laughed. "And I thought you were such a pacifist." He put his arm around her neck and pulled her close.

"Listen, I'm a Momma Bear above all. Gotta take care of my dumb boys." She laughed and patted his arm. He eased up on his grip on her but kept his arm resting on her shoulders. I sat across from them and put my hand on top of hers.

"Thanks for... Protecting my honour," I said and smiled.

"My pleasure." She winked at me.

Creek came out from the cafeteria building and dropped down by our table, next to me, his hood on his hoodie on his head. They grabbed the strings and the hood tightened around his face.

"I hate them so much!" they growled and let go of the strings. He pulled the hood down and turned to me. "I wanna scream so loud in their dumb jerk faces."

"And on Goodbye Day, no less. Have they no shame?" Fred asked.

Creek looked up and smiled. "It's Goobbye Day."

It really sounded like they said 'boob-bye day' but maybe my hearing was still wonky after my eardrum having burst.

"We're going to the lake. Wanna come? We were planning on doing it later but fuck it." Creek rose to their feet and looked expectantly at us.