40

It was very late by the time Abel finally came back

It was very late by the time Abel finally came back. He looked utterly confused for a second, that everyone was there and then he was by my side immediately. I had taken up the sofa, bandages around my torso. I hadn't just broken ribs, I was scratched a bunch too and I had bled all over Cal's jumper, so she was in the middle of rinsing that out in my kitchen sink, but to little avail.

"What happened? I left for like three hours!" Abel exclaimed and gently removed the blanket, showing off more bandages.

"Uh, so I ran into a dryad when you had left. And Liam. Turns out they don't like banshee screams," I explained and took his hand in mine.

"And you're not wearing a shirt," he murmured softly.

"I had to put some bandages on."

"More scars," he said with so much pain in his voice.

"It's alright," I said and put my free hand to his cheek. "Now we know who the real killer is, Abel. It must be the dryad. It tried to kill me and Liam."

"How hurt are you?" He put his hand on the top of my belly, softly resting on top of the bandages.

"Some broken ribs and some minor lacerations. I'll be fine. I'm already healing on my own much faster than I should've been if I had been human. Fred estimates it'll take a week before I'm back to normal."

"I shouldn't have left you." He was whispering now and moved up to kiss me. "I'm so sorry, Gael."

"Abel, it's not your fault. You wouldn't have been able to fight off the dryad anyways. It didn't leave me alone until Creek screamed."

"I could've helped. You don't know everything I can do." He pulled back and tried to smile. A common joke between us. Since he liked trickle-truthing about his abilities.

"You'll have to tell me one day. I'm still very curious."

"I'll tell you first thing tomorrow."

"Good, I don't wanna go to an early grave with this curiosity."

He snorted. "Gallows humour is so inappropriate but it's so very you."

"And you like me," I said, my eyes softly closing.

"I love you, Gael, you moron. Now rest, alright? We'll probably all be here tomorrow. So, I'll make some beds ready upstairs."

"Bed... That sounds amazing."

"Mmh, yeah, I bet it does. Come on then. I'll help you to bed." He put his arm around my shoulders, the other under my knees and carefully lifted me from the sofa.

"Careful!" Fred hissed from the kitchen, poking her head out through the doorless frame. "Don't rip his stitches or I'll maul you."

"I know how to carry my boyfriend," Abel said and rolled his eyes as he went for the stairs. He was so careful as he walked, and it mustn't have been easy to walk with me like this, but he didn't rip a single stitch. Not even when he had put me to bed.