14

By the late afternoon we decided to hike down again

By the late afternoon we decided to hike down again. I was dicking around with Creek when he abruptly stopped, the pupils in his eyes became the size of pinheads, and they paled. He turned more grey than rich brown. Their whole expression became very catatonic to look at and I was so confused. What was happening here?

"Creek?" I tried, making the others who had been walking ahead of us stop and turn around. I gently touched his hand, but they didn't even flinch.

"Oh fuck, cover-" Abel started but was interrupted by the absolute worst sound I had ever heard.

Creek's mouth was wide open, the sound coming from him almost bursting my ear drums. Scratch that, one burst, I was sure. I could feel something sticky run down my throat from my ear.

I fell to my knees and tried covering my ears, but it was impossible to keep the sound out. And then the tips of my fingers felt as if they had been dipped in molten lava. My nails turned several shades darker and then started growing. It moved on to my teeth as well.

I was nowhere near the full moon here and it was in the middle of the day, but I was shifting. The wolf was tossing and turning in my chest, trying to break free. Then the horrific noise finally stopped.

Abel was by my side immediately, grabbing me and pressing me to his chest. I was heaving, trying to breathe through it but everything was pain.

He took my hands in his and gently kissed my fingers as I whimpered and pressed my face to his chest.

"What happened?" Cal asked and gently got Creek up from the ground. They must've collapsed.

"Body," Creek said with a slurred voice and raised his arm, pointing at some bushes.

"Hold on," Abel said and placed a quick kiss on my cheek before going to investigate. He flinched and looked back. "We gotta call the cops. There's a body here. And don't go looking at it either. Just stay there."

Fred had been on her way over but stopped and nodded. If the vampire said we should stay away, it was probably wise to heed his command.

Abel came back to where I was sitting and squatted down, letting me lean against him, while he called the authorities. He put his phone away after a brief conversation and sat down properly next to me.

"They're tracking my phone so we gotta stay here. You alright?"

I shook my head, still looking down at my nails. They were back to normal, but my fingers felt as if I had just shoved them down into a pot of boiling water. I didn't even really notice how much my ear hurt nor that my teeth were aching. There was just so much pain in my fingers.

"We should get you cleaned up a little, Gael," Abel said softly.

Fred rummaged through her backpack and handed Abel some wet wipes. Abel was careful when he wiped the blood off my throat. He swallowed hard and clenched his jaw.