24

"What do you think she meant by that? That you can see more than any of us?" I asked when we were back on the road

"I've got a better vision than humans and other species." He glanced at me before looking back at the road. "I see more colours too. Like shrimp. They've got sixteen colour receptors where humans have three. I can also see better in the dark. I don't really see the world like you do, but I can. I can switch between visions."

"Is that what happens when your eyes change size?"

He nodded with a smile. "Yeah, actually. You've noticed that?"

"Yeah, it's hard not to notice, especially when the black dot covers almost all the white."

"Must look a little freaky to you, huh..."

I put my hand on top of his that was resting on the gearstick. "No, I think it's beautiful."

He moved his lips as if he was chewing something, but it was his really cute way of suppressing a smile. It was hilariously adorable.

"I think everything about you is beautiful."

He lost the battle and smiled full on. "You know, it shouldn't make me feel that great since I've got no clue how I look but... Hearing you say that makes me feel really good."

"I'm glad to hear that." I leaned in over the small space separating us and kissed his cheek. He had to hunch his back a little so I could reach. He was so cute.

"So, like a shrimp and like a lobster. What is it with you and shellfish?"

"I fucking love shellfish. They're so cool." He smiled like a little boy. "Did you know oysters can change their gender at will?"

I snorted and shook my head. He kept listing all kinds of shellfish facts and it was amazing he could remember all that. I let him list as many as he wanted. He looked ridiculously cute, and he was so passionate.

"Gael," he said then turning a little more serious. "Are you going to meet up with the other wolves if they come back to town?"

"I think so. I think I need it. I have so many questions and it'd... Just be easier if there were someone who could answer them. Relate. I never knew any other wolves, you know? I've never had any family that could guide me through it all and-"

"You don't have to explain it, Gael, I totally get it. We've all got family who're like us. My parents taught me everything I know about being a vampire. Creek has their whole family and so does Fred and Cal. Wolves choose their families. In the end we're all pack animals and we need to be with our own."

I tried to not be weird

I tried to not be weird. Or smooth my hair down too much. I wish I could've brought Abel, but I had to do this on my own.

I was meeting another wolf and Mags had said they weren't much older than me either. So we might be able to relate even more. They had agreed to come to the club. I didn't know where else to bring them? Abel had been talking about their risotto so I just kind of figured I'd eat risotto with the other wolf?

I was a mess.

A shorthaired girl entered the club and then smiled at me very widely.

"Gael?" she asked and stopped by my table. "I'm Em. Mags sent for me."

"Yeah, hi, I'm Gael," I said before I could stop myself.

She chuckled and pulled out one of the tall chairs, sitting down across from me. "Cute place. Love the Pride flags."

"Yeah I uh... Don't know many other good food places here. We can totally leave if-"

"Oh hell no, we're staying. My wife would die for this place. We live in this small town where we're The Lesbians and that's all we are." She rolled her eyes.

I eased up immediately. This had been the best possible choice I could've made.

"They've got a killer risotto. Or so my boyfriend says."

"Then let's have that. I could use some wine too."

"Honestly, same. I gotta admit, I've been really nervous." I waved at the waiter, and we quickly ordered the same thing, and he left us again.

"How come?" She tipped her head to side. She was really pretty. Very high cheekbones and pale skin. A rose tattoo covered the front of her throat with wings going out on the sides.

"I uh... Haven't met anyone who's also a w-" I was interrupted by the waiter coming back with our drinks. I made a weird grimace at him that was supposed to be a smile, but it came out really weird feeling.

"You were saying?" she asked when the waiter left and took a sip.

I took a sip too, to calm myself a little. "I haven't met other wolves. Besides Mags."

"That's how it is for everyone, I think, until we meet Mags. In this part of the country, she's the organiser. Like she gets us all together. She's an elder so she says it's her job." Mila shrugged a little.

"Makes sense," I said in lack of something better to say.

"It's all a little much, huh?"

I nodded a little. "Honestly, yeah. I'm... New. Like, until I moved here, I thought I was alone with all this, but my boyfriend is a vampire, my friends are banshees, witches, and griffons. It's just overwhelming to think about sometimes."

"You've been fortunate to find other people though. Like they might not be wolves, but they're still in the supernatural community and even that can be so helpful. My wife is a banshee too, so it really helped me." She smiled softly and then very widely when the waiter came with our food. "Oh lord, this looks so good."

The waiter smiled back and went on his merry way.

Abel was right. It was a killer risotto.

Em was really pleasant, and we mainly just talked about some superficial stuff. Like school and her job. She worked as a nurse at the local clinic. Her wife was a doctor at the same clinic and that was their life. Very small town, they knew all of their patients by first name. It sounded like such a great life. Very small and very simple. They had a farm outside of the town where Mila could roam when she turned.

"You should totally come by sometimes. It's only like an hour away from here by car. Into the mountains too. Absolutely beautiful."

"I'd love to!"

"And bring the boyfriend."