18

I felt exposed at the school

I felt exposed at the school. I had been having such a great time and I should've known something would ruin it. I didn't go for lunches in the cafeteria anymore. There'd just be a chance that Liam would find me and say more shit that would fuck with my head. I couldn't wait for the fall break to begin. Maybe after the break I'd feel a little better, get it all a little further away.

"Gael," Fred whispered, pulling me out of my trance. I wasn't at all listening to the lecture and apparently it was also finished. She gently put her hand on my shoulder and flashed a supportive smile.

"Come on. Let's go get some coffee."

I nodded a little and stifled a yawn. I desperately needed coffee. We went to the little tuk-tuk and sat by the stone tables.

"Trouble sleeping?" Fred asked and broke off a piece of her cookie, putting it in her mouth.

"I guess," I muttered.

"I've got something for that."

"A spell?"

"No, dumbnut, I've got some valerian tea. Drink a cup before you go to sleep at night, and it might help you." She rolled her eyes. "It's always the spells with you. Are you that desperate to see some magic?"

"Maybe?" I replied and sent her a smile. I really wanted to see some magic. Who the hell wouldn't? Magic was awesome and actually real, and I had grown up in a world where it hadn't been anything but for something to happen in books and films. But it was real, and my friend knew how to do it.

"It's really not that interesting, Gael."

"Fred, it really, really, is though. Magic is so cool."

She snorted and shook her head at me, big dangly earrings jingling alongside her. She always wore lots of jewellery and I loved it. Her whole person had a sound. Sounds of little bells everywhere she went. It was becoming very comforting to hear her.

"You're such a nerd," she laughed but her cheeks had turned a little darker.

"I'm not gonna deny that."