34

We settled down in the little restaurant

We settled down in the little restaurant. It was a fancy one, so I was happy Abel had convinced me to pack something nice. I had a pair of dress pants shoved in the back of my closet from a prom or whatever. And a nice black shirt he had convinced me to buy.

We had gotten dressed separately and when he stepped out of the bathroom, he looked... So hot. He was wearing these dress pants as well, but with an awesome belt, black dress shirt tucked into his trousers. The waves on his head had been slicked back and I had never seen anything like him before.

"Do... Do I look okay?" he asked and rolled his sleeves up to his elbows.

"Are you kidding? You look amazing!" I went to him and fixed his collar. "You clean up good."

"You do too," he said softly and unbuttoned my top button, fixing my collar too. "There. Much better, isn't it?"

"Is it because you wanna peak at my collarbones all night or?"

"Hey, I'm the one looking at you, aren't I?" He gently put his hands on my cheeks, getting me to tip my head up further, his thumbs going over my jaw. Then he slowly, agonisingly so, bent down and kissed me so softly.

We went to the restaurant and got our seats. I was a little nervous as I dug through my bag and found the notebook.

"So uhm, I couldn't take any pictures of you and like... I thought you'd still want a memory. So I sketched something. Just something quick. You can like... Throw it away. If it's bad. Or you don't need like a memento from the trip to the reservoir." I ripped the page out and handed it to Abel.

His eyes widened and the black dots changed size several times, going from big to small as he blinked. "I... I look like this to you?" he asked with a small voice.

"Uh, I mean, it's just a quick sketch but uhm... Yeah. I guess."

He smiled then and met my gaze. "Thank you, Gael. You captured Gene perfectly. We'll have to find a frame for it."

"I'm sure we'll find one. But are you sure, you like it?"

"Gael, I love it. I adore it. I've never had anything like this to remember a trip by." He looked back down at the sketch again, gently smoothing his fingers over the paper. "Thank you." He leaned over the table and kissed me on the cheek. "I wish I had known we were doing gifts."

"It was a spur of the moment thing. So don't worry about it. After all, you also paid for this whole thing. So this is like a gift."

He smiled and nodded, looking down at the menu. "I'll pay for dinner too, by the way."

"And here I thought we could at least go splitsies."

He snorted. "Nope."

"