16

I went to Creek's house for the first time ever

I went to Creek's house for the first time ever. They hadn't been to school for a couple of days, and I texted him to ask if he needed anything. Chocolate milkshakes was his answer, so I had to get that for him. It wasn't a bother though.

I walked up onto the porch, rang the little doorbell, and waited. They had a screen-door here and a regular front-door.

I wanted a screen-door.

Their front porch was also really nice. A wisteria leaned against the house, branches crawling up and around the bannisters and poles holding up the little roof, making it look like there were purple curtains. I bet it was absolutely wonderful to sit out here.

The door opened and a middle-aged short woman opened the door. Her whole face immediately broke into a smile. "You must be Gael," she said with a voice that sounded a tad withered but also wise. Deep too for a woman. And hoarse.

"Yes, that's me. Lovely to meet you Mrs. Creek." I would've shaken her hand, but I had milkshakes in both of mine.

"Oh, oh no. None of that. I'm Maura and nothing else. Mrs. Creek is my mother-in-law." She had a booming and infectious laugh and I found myself smiling back at her. "It's so good you've come to see Creek. He really needs a pick-me-up. Has been walking around in their jammies for days, and he's starting to smell."

"Mum!" Creek's voice sounded from inside and they appeared quickly beside their mother pushing her away from the door. "Thank you very much for opening the door, bye bye now. We're gonna sit out here." He stepped out on the porch and closed door behind them. "I swear to every single god out there, that woman talks too much."

She wasn't exactly lying. Creek usually dressed in big hoodies and nice jeans paired with nice sneakers. They always had pristine sneakers. I was a little jealous because mine always got dirty immediately. I wondered if Fred had a spell for that.

But now Creek was wearing sweats and an oversized t-shirt with some band called Monochrome Skyline. It had also passed its expiry date for how many times it could be washed.

"I've got milkshakes," I tried and handed one to him.

"You're a peach." They sat down on the swinging bench and motioned me to join them. "I mean it. It was nice of you to satisfy my craving for chocolate milkshakes."

"Hey, cravings need to be respected. After a shift, my biggest craving is like... Salads. Because I've spent two nights in a row eating small animals raw. So, all I want is something green and crunchy."

"I'll remember that for next month then." He smiled a little tiredly and wrapped his lips around the straw.

We sat in silence for a while, softly swinging back and forth on the swing bench. There were some birds singing from the wisteria tree and a nice soft breeze slipping in between the purple curtain of flowers, making them sway.