42

The elders were mad of course

The elders were mad of course. Especially Abel's mum and Creek's mum. They had been raging at us for at least an hour. The worst was Creek's mum was explosive in her anger, while Abel's mum had been staring coolly at us with the biggest disappointment I had ever seen on a face.

We were all battered to look at to boot, so it had been this mix of rage, disappointment and them constantly asking if we were alright, if we needed anything.

It was weird. I hadn't been scolded by anyone like this since my dad had been alive, and... It kind of felt nice? I knew they were angry because they were worried. This all came from concern. And I had never been in a room with this many people who cared about me.

At one point I had just had to hug Maura. She was frozen for a second before she hugged me back. It was one of the warmest hugs I had ever gotten, and it was everything I needed, despite being battered and in pain and she was really hurting my ribs... But it didn't matter. The pain subsided and I just focused on the most lovely hug in the world.

And obviously then it was time for dinner. Since we were so many people, the Creeks had set up a long table in the garden. Fairy lights lit up the garden in the most cosy way. Even though we were all in the doghouse, the elders still wanted to have a nice meal. Or maybe it was mostly Maura, because as she had said, even though I'm angry I'm still gonna feed the babies. Us being the babies.

As I looked around the table, I couldn't help but feel included. Like I was a part of this and not an observer on the side-lines, barely being invited to join, much less to be an actual integral part of it all. I was with them. They were all family.

And I was a part of that.

It was time to try and piece our lives back together

It was time to try and piece our lives back together. The larger community had been told through the elders and it was like the tension that had been building up was immediately punctured like a tire with a nail in it.

It wasn't like everything was forgotten. Liam and his friends were severely punished for what they had done to me and were actually asked to transfer to another uni. Which they would at the end of the semester. It was such a relief to know they wouldn't be around anymore, and I could go into the next semester with a fresh start, no cast, no broken ribs, and maybe only a few bruises. Which was all I could hope for at this point.