28

We drove up the small road leading to the farm

We drove up the small road leading to the farm. It hadn't taken that long to get here, but it had been a nice trip. The countryside looked amazing in the pale autumn light, the sun struggling to cast its last rays of warmth for the year. I was quick to snap some pictures of how the sun hit the trees with my phone, thinking I'd want to paint them later.

"I think this is it," Abel said and parked, pulling on the stick of his beloved car. It always had this soothing click to it. There was just something about Abel driving, that I loved.

"Right, better like... Get out of the car then," I said and unbuckled my seatbelt.

As we were getting out of the car, Em came out onto the front porch waving. She ran down to the cobblestones on bare feet and hugged me like we had known each other for ages.

"Gael! It's so nice you could come!" She pulled back and turned towards Abel.

"I'm Abel," he said when she didn't say anything. "I'm the boyfriend."

She smiled widely and nodded. "I can tell. His smell is all over you."

"Uh." Abel glanced down at me from behind his aviators. I could see it him doing that side-glance thing. "I don't... Know..." He trailed off and shifted his weight from one foot to the other.

"His smell. Like, it's all over the town too..." She trailed off as well and glanced at me. "You don't know about that, do you..."

"Know about what?" I asked feeling utterly confused.

"Right, let's go inside, get some coffee and I'll explain."

So, we sat down by a small table in a lovely kitchen surrounded by plants after Em having invited Abel in, so he could enter. Not a single surface was without a plant, making the room look more like a jungle than a kitchen. We had mismatched cups with blacker than black coffee. Everything about this kitchen fit Em so well, and I didn't even know her that well. But it just fit.

"Right, so we as werewolves have several ways of communicating. Howling is the obvious one, but we also leave scents. Gael has left his scent all over you Abel, in what can only be described as 'lovely'. You're a friend. So, if you met other werewolves, you've got a stamp of approval by a wolf and would be left alone. Gael has also left his scent at the club, the bakery, the school and a small vintage second-hand store. It's just a heads-up that he's there and he likes those places."

"I... I didn't know I had done that?" I said with a small voice.

"No, in the beginning it happens subconsciously. But then you learn to do it consciously. Ever got the urge to touch something? Like in the bakery or touch a friend? Maybe Abel?"

"I mean, I've always got an urge to touch him, I can't even lie," I said and laughed. Abel chuckled, grabbed my hand and brought my knuckles up to his lips, placing a tiny kiss on them. "But I also can't deny I get urges to touch things. Like I just have to touch them. Is that to spread my scent?"