7

Fred handed me a beer and leaned back in the comfy outdoor chairs

Fred handed me a beer and leaned back in the comfy outdoor chairs. Soft indie music played at a comfortable volume so we could still talk.

"So, you went out with Abel?" she asked and smirked at me.

"Did he tell you that or?"

"Oh, he's been obsessing for weeks. Like he was really excited about that date. And he's still really excited, so that's good. I won't have to curse you. For now." She sent me a saying look.

"He's really nice."

"And you better stay really nice too. I mean it, Gael, he's very special, alright?"

"Alright. I get it. I really like him though, so... If that matters."

She smiled and softened up immediately. "It most certainly does. Did you like the date?"

I nodded and started fiddling with the label on the beer bottle. "It's nice to date someone who knows about the whole... 'I turn into a wolf two nights every month' thing. And like, he's so nice."

Fred closed her eyes and nodded sagely. "He is."

"It's odd though, because like... He's also really good-looking. Like ridiculously good-looking and it's like he doesn't even know? Like usually guys who look like him know they're hot and they kind of act like jerks. But he's not at all like that."

"He doesn't know what he looks like," Fred said seriously. "He has no reflection. He doesn't show up in photographs or video recordings. You can't document his appearance in any other way than drawing or painting him."

"So, he genuinely doesn't know how gorgeous he is?" I raised an eyebrow.

Fred snorted and shook her head. "No, and I'm not sure it'd change a lot for him either. Like, he has a really good heart. He's a complete moron, but a genuinely good-hearted moron."

I chuckled. "I don't know why you guys keep saying he's a moron. He's studying some super nerdy shit."

"Oh yeah, he's a complete nerd. But he's dumb. You know, he can read a book, absorb all of the information, retain it and use it in practice. But he has zero clue how to socialise with regular people. I'm surprised he hasn't stuck his whole foot in his mouth with you yet."

"I mean, I'm not the uh... Best socially either so..." I shrugged. "I'd probably always assume he wasn't trying to be malicious."

"That's the right approach with him. He's literally never trying to be malicious. He's just an idiot." She chuckled a bit. "I mean, I love the guy like a brother, but... Yeah. He's a moron."

"It's good to know though. I'd hope if I had any other friends they'd be as caring about me, as you guys are about Abel."

"You don't think I've had this talk with Abel too?" She arched a brow at me. "Come on, now. Don't be a moron too. I've had this conversation with him too." She winked at me, and I couldn't help but laugh.