9

"So, like, my mum calls me and is shouting into the phone, right? And I keep telling her, she doesn't actually have to shout, and she kept talking about how phones worked in the past, and it was just this big mess," Abel said and laughed

I couldn't hold back a chuckle of my own. "How old is she exactly?"

"I've asked her so many times, and she keeps saying it doesn't matter. But let's just say for her industrial revolution feels like it was last year." He rolled his eyes a little. "I tried introducing her to Instagram once and she kept asking what the point was. And she didn't understand why you'd keep photos on your phone, since she still likes to go in a darkroom and print out photos."

"Actually, that sounds amazing. I've always wanted to try out analogue photography."

"I'll take you to her house sometime. She'll go nuts for you." He smiled that ridiculously cute smile.

"You wanna introduce me to your parents?" I asked mostly as a joke.

It didn't land. His smile slid right off, and he looked visibly nervous. "Uh, if you'd like?"
"What're you gonna say?"

He frowned a little before realising I was joking. Then he smiled again and put his arm around my head, pulling face straight into his chest. "You're so mean."

I laughed and circled my arms around him, leaning into the hug that hadn't started out as a hug at all.

"You're cute," Abel said and put his other arm around me as well.

"Abel's got a pet," someone said, and I pulled back to see who.

A group of people walked by us on the big lawn between some of the university buildings. I didn't know them but apparently Abel did.

He clenched his jaw and slid his sunglasses down in front of his eyes again. "Walk away, Liam."

"Only into dogs these days huh? Woof woof," he laughed, and the others barked alongside him.

"Is it housetrained, or will it piss all over your floors?" another chimed in, earning more laughs from the group.

I had tried many things that sucked in my life, but never had I been the target of harassment for being a werewolf. It was so new I didn't even know how to feel about it.

"Let's just go," I said and grabbed Abel's hand.

His whole body was clenching. I had never seen him this wired and honestly, I didn't wanna stay around for what might happen next.

"You should've trained your dog better. It's the one doing the commanding when you should be the one to do that," the first guy, Liam, pointed out and tipped his cap up a bit. It was an ugly cap and he looked ridiculous wearing it.

"He's not a dog and you know that Liam. Just get your whole gross attitude out of my face," Abel bit back, his voice shaking a bit.

"It doesn't matter, Abel," I said as calmly as I could. I hauled him with me, the group barking at us.