Chapter 32

Pue Dexter

Maybe....I shouldn't have sent Travis to Clashing's. Ugh, why does my head hurt so much?

     Knock Knock!

     As I lean back in the chair, I yell "COME IN AND DON'T SLAM MY DOOR!"

     The doctor comes in with a grim look and stammers "Pue, I found out what is wrong with your mother. A parasite has latched on her heart. It appears to be dormant...meaning it's not causing harm to her yet. This is actually the first time I ever dealt with this kind of situation. Most of the time, we use antibiotics to effectively kill parasites in the body, in this case..."

     I interrupt "So give her some antibiotics and be done with it."

     The doctor intrudes in and says "Well it's not that simple. This parasite is not in any of the databases in this world. This must be either an evolved species or a totally new species. My team doesn't know if antibiotics will help or worsen the situation. But until we find out more information, we have to keep your mother under surveillance. She needs to come and get checked in the hospital."

      A new parasite? That's in no databases...damn it, it was Ms.Magua. Ms.Magua basically put a ticking time bomb in my mother. What do I do now? How can I keep her safe? I have to get those sisters to bargain for my mother's life...I take a deep breath and say "Um, I'll send a car to pick up my mother. Doc, please take care of her! Also, I'll pay for the bill. Just send the invoice to my office."

     The doctor smiles and blurts out "Remember, the patients don't have to pay the bills any more. Ever since FKB-218, so many people were dying because hospitals were turning away people who didn't have health insurance. People were literally dying in front of hospitals...I still remember it to this day. The stench of death as you walk up to the entrance and the decaying bodies lying there like ..."

     I interrupt "Yeah, it was so bad that people at first thought it was the plague. Every news station was condemning those hospitals, but the hospital's response was to blame the laws or the people who voted to approve those laws."

     The doctors laughingly said "I was just an intern when all that shit hit the fan. For the longest time, my hospital smelled like death. Everyone should have access to healthcare regardless of class. I am glad that everyone has free healthcare now. It took five years for the government to pass the free healthcare law. I know some people don't like getting taxed more, but at least all of that goes back to our hospitals. But I should go, I ramble enough. Just send your mother over to me and my team will be observing her."

      Free healthcare my butt...I'm getting taxed at least thirty percent of my earnings. Why do I have to pay for people's healthcare? They should get a job. I might need to change this doctor while I'm at it...he seems too laid back with me. But first deal with the parasite in my mother. I take a deep breath and motion for him to leave the room. As he is leaving, I mention "She will be at your office in five hours. Have a good day!" Now, it's time to have a conversation with Ms.Magua.

Italics-Internal Dialogue