Six

Chapter song:

Foxglove by Boston Manor

-

I hear a knock at my door at 10:15 am, looking through the peephole to see Cass standing there in a light purple sweater and blue jeans

I hear a knock at my door at 10:15 am, looking through the peephole to see Cass standing there in a light purple sweater and blue jeans. I open the door and she pulls me into a hug. She insisted on driving me to work today. It's only a twenty minute walk from my apartment, but I think she wanted to help me out with it being my first day and all.

"Why aren't you dressed yet?" She says with slight annoyance in her voice, leaning back to stare at my pajamas.

"I don't know what to wear," I admit quietly. "I need your help."

She huffs and walks past me to my closet.

"I have a few things on the bed that I was thinking about wearing," I follow her, chewing on my lip anxiously. I laid out a soft yellow crop top, a black long sleeve that has the name of my favorite band on it, Boston Manor, and a pair of high-waisted, light wash boyfriend jeans. "What do you think?"

She stands there quietly, arms crossed, looking intently at the clothes in front of her and tapping her chin lightly with her right hand.

"I think you should wear the black shirt with those pants," she decides, breaking the silence between us. "With your luck, the yellow would probably get ink on it."

I chuckle softly. She's totally right, I have terrible luck, so I shouldn't risk it.

I change quickly, slipping on a pair of black Vans. I decided to straighten my hair, clipping in the pink extensions again and wearing just a tinted sunscreen and mascara.

We leave my apartment by 10:42, making the short drive to the shop.

"How are you feeling?" Cass asks, glancing at me briefly; she knows how anxious I get about stuff like this.

I was a wreck when I first started working at Genevieve's, and even though we'd only just met she talked me through several panic attacks. She really has been there for me since day one.

"I'm okay," I sigh. "Just nervous is all. What if they don't like me?"

She looks at me with a confused expression on her face, letting out a loud laugh.

"Are you crazy?" She judges. "They're gonna love you. Louis texted me last night thanking me for introducing you guys."

I take a deep breath and stare out the window, tapping my foot nervously. I've always been an insecure person, but ever since the accident it's gotten so much worse. Anyone can leave you in an instant, and although it's a little different, I'm constantly worried that people will decide they hate me and never want to speak to me again.