Twenty

———

———

Wednesday
August 3, 2016

———

"Stop being annoying and take this picture with me," Caroline pouts, sticking out her bottom lip and crossing her arms.

I can't help but laugh at her dramatics. She knows how much I hate taking photos, but she's giving me those puppy-dog eyes that I can never say no to.

"Alright, fine," I laugh, rolling my eyes. Her adorable pouting is quickly replaced with a big smile, and the way her eyes light up when I finally give in is enough to give me butterflies.

She squeals loudly and claps her hands together excitedly, and I feel my cheeks heat up as she grabs my arm and pulls me in for a hug. The smell of her perfume floods my senses, the floral aroma she always wears has grown to be my favorite scent. I breathe in deeply in an effort to hold onto it for as long as I can.

She finally pulls away, and I find myself missing her touch almost immediately.

"Okay, stand here," she instructs, moving to put me in the position she wants for the photo. The warm summer breeze blows through her bright pink hair, and I reach my hand out to brush it out of her face. She giggles at the action, her cheeks turning a light shade of pink.

God, I love that sound.

She stands next to me, and gets onto her toes so she can reach her arm over my shoulders. I bite back a chuckle when I have to crouch slightly to make it easier for her.

"Smile!" She shouts, holding her phone in front of us to snap the photo. I lean my head against hers, and smile as wide as I can. I know she's going to love my cheesy grin.

She lets out a soft giggle when she looks at the picture she just took, and before I can ask her how it looks, an adoring smile grows across her face.

"We look so cute!" She gushes, holding out her phone to show me the selfie she finally convinced me to be in.

The sun is setting, and the soft golden light is shining on us, creating an ethereal glow. She looks beautiful, as always. I feel so grateful to be in this picture with her, to be lucky enough to be in her presence. I can't believe I tried to say no.

"Yeah, we do," I nod, looking up to meet those ocean-blue eyes that I adore. She looks away from my intense gaze, shaking her head.

"You're doing it again," she says, poking me playfully in the stomach. I tilt my head in confusion.

"Doing what?"

"You keep looking at me like that," she laughs, gently shoving my shoulder with her hand.