Twenty-Six

Chapter song:

The Lines (Low Gain Mix) by Beartooth

-

When I tell you I'll be fine,I still want you by my side,Please just try to read between the lines

I still want you by my side,
Please just try to read between the lines.

I listen contentedly to one of my favorite songs playing loudly through my speakers as I rinse the conditioner out of my hair, my eyes shut as the lyrics dance through my ears.

Where's my comfort in the undefined,
Please just try to read between the lines.

I finally have a day off after such an exhausting weekend, and I decided to make it a self-care day. I'm taking an "everything" shower before I make some popcorn and watch The Conjuring, my comfort movie, for the thousandth time.

What is the poison inside of me,
The sickness in my head.

I hum along to the electric melody, turning the shower head off and stepping out onto my black bath rug.

Put me to sleep while I find a cure for
The sickness in my head.

I wrap my hair up tightly in my microfiber towel before grabbing my clay face mask from under the sink. I open the jar, and scoop a small amount of the thick, green substance onto my fingers, then apply it all over my face. I breathe in deeply, the smell of papaya flooding my senses. I step out of my bathroom, opening my closet to pull out my black, fluffy robe, and hang up my towel to wrap the soft fabric around my body.

God, I needed this.

I make my way into the kitchen to put the popcorn in the microwave, setting aside a light blue bowl so I can empty the contents of the package into it when it's finished. Humming along to the music still filtering out of the bathroom, I turn on my T.V. to start the movie.

A warm feeling spreads throughout my chest as I finally take my seat on the couch. I haven't done something for me in so long. Ever since I started at Blackhouse, my life has revolved around Harry. If I'm going to be stuck in this fucked up mess with that man, I'm going to have to start setting aside small amounts of time to focus on myself.

As I get comfortable, placing my feet up on the coffee table, my phone starts buzzing next to me. I glance over to see Harry's name lighting up my screen. With a groan, I quickly press decline. Not even ten seconds later, my phone starts vibrating again and, of course, it's Harry.

I begrudgingly pause the movie, whispering a few curse words to myself as I answer the phone.

"What do you want?" I demand. My words come out harsher than I intended but, for once, I don't feel bad.

"Well, good afternoon to you too, princess," he snaps back with a slightly more lighthearted tone than my greeting. "Are you home?"

I raise a brow, unsure of how to answer. It's really none of his business, and the fact that he's calling me to ask makes me very uneasy.