Thirteen

TW: sexual assault, drug abuse

———

New Year's Eve
2011

———

"Caroline?" I shout, pushing my way through the thick crowd of people.

Where the hell is she?

We only got to the party an hour ago, she couldn't have gone too far. I look around the living room to see if I can spot her bright pink hair, but I don't see her anywhere.

I keep moving through all the bodies until I notice Zach standing in the kitchen with a few guys from school, they're all laughing and holding red Solo cups.

"Zach, have you seen Caroline anywhere?" I ask when I reach them.

"No, I haven't seen your girlfriend anywhere," he snickers, the rest of the guys laughing with him.

I feel my cheeks turn pink in embarrassment. "She's not my girlfriend," I mutter, rolling my eyes and pushing my hair off of my forehead nervously. "Seriously mate, I can't find her."

"It's not a big house, Harry," he shrugs me off. "Maybe she went upstairs."

I huff at his nonchalance and make my way to the stairs to continue my search. Zach thinks it's not a big deal, but I promised her that I wouldn't ditch her tonight. I know how bad her social anxiety gets in big groups like this, and I would hate for her to have a panic attack when we're supposed to be having fun.

I reach the second floor and peer down the long, empty hallway.

"Caroline?" I shout again, walking towards the door to the bathroom. I knock gently, but don't hear any response. "Caroline, are you in there?"

I jiggle the doorknob, only to realize that it's locked, but there's still no sound on the other side.

"Where did she go?" I whisper, turning to walk back downstairs.

I reach the top of stairs, and I'm about to take a step when I hear muffled screams coming from the bathroom, the noise causing the hair on the back of my neck to stand up. I turn back around quickly and feel sick when I recognize a familiar voice yelling my name.

"Harry!" Caroline screams from behind the white door, the last syllable sounding muted, like something's covering her mouth.

"Caroline!" I respond, running back down the hallway.

I bang on the door loudly, yelling to open it.

"Shut the fuck up, bitch!" I hear a deep voice say lowly.