Thirty-Three

"Cass should be here with Katie any minute," Louis states, making me choke on my beer mid-sip

"Cass should be here with Katie any minute," Louis states, making me choke on my beer mid-sip. "Harry, you alright mate?"

I cough a few times into the crook of my elbow, wincing at the feeling of the bitter alcohol going down the wrong pipe.

"Yeah, yeah," I wheeze. "I'm fine."

Jesus, even the sound of her name makes me forget how to function.

I run my fingers through my hair, brushing it back to get it off my forehead, and stare down at the fire as I try to compose myself.

Ever since Louis texted me, asking if Katie and I wanted to come to his for Thanksgiving, I've been a nervous wreck around her. I mean, he texted me, asking about both of us. It makes me wonder if Katie has said anything to him about us.

Not that there is an us.

There's no way we've been acting much different than before while we're at work, at least not enough to draw attention to ourselves, right? Granted, we haven't been at each other's throats as much recently, but that couldn't possibly be a reason to think there's anything going on between us.

"Katie and Cass are here," Louis announces as he walks back towards the group from the back door.

What the hell?

I was so stuck in my head, I didn't even notice him go inside.

I swallow harshly, my throat still raw from coughing, and avert my gaze back to the flames in front of me. Maybe, if I just act like I don't notice her, no one will get the wrong idea about us.

Maybe I'll be able to stop thinking about her.

"Hey babe!" I hear Niall shout from my right, and watch him run up to the two girls out of the corner of my eye.

I take another big swig of my beer, and try not to focus on the conversation just a few yards away from me.

"Guys!" Louis shouts to my left, making me flinch slightly. "I want you to meet my girlfriend."

I feel my nerves build in my stomach, feeling heavier and heavier the closer Katie gets. I keep my head down, hoping against hope that she doesn't say anything to me.

"Katie," I hear Louis say, my breath hitching. "Cass, this is Hailey. Hailey, this is Katie and Cass."

Again, the sound of her name alone makes my hands tremble slightly, and I quickly finish off my beer in an attempt to kill the nerves.

"It's nice to meet you," Hailey says.

I hear the two girls return the greeting at the same time, making everyone around me laugh. I, on the other hand, can't find it in me to do, or say anything.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

I never get flustered like this. At least, not since the first time I met Ca-