Forty-One

Chapter song:

Waiting by Cory Wells

-

"Merry Christmas!" Katie greets Louis and Hailey at the door when they arrive, pulling them both in for hugs before Cass does the same

Katie insisted on having our friends over to my flat on Christmas Eve to do a gift exchange, no matter how much I argued. She said the holidays are for spending time with the people you love, and because she doesn't have her family around, she wanted to share it with her "chosen family".

I hate having people over, but I want her to be happy. If that means hosting a stupid party, I'll do it in a heartbeat.

"Hi Harry!" Hailey calls to me, sending me a small wave. I give her a tight-lipped smile in response, which earns me a glare from Katie.

I don't mind Hailey, she's definitely not the worst girl Louis has brought around, but she's just so... nice. It's strange. There's no way anyone is that nice all the time.

"Hey, mate," Louis says with a smile as he slaps my back roughly.

He's holding two gifts wrapped in silver wrapping paper, topped with red bows. I watch as he places them under the black Christmas tree - yet another idea of Katie's. I haven't owned a tree since I left home. Hell, I haven't even celebrated Christmas; I haven't cared to since Caroline died.

Until now.

"Thanks for coming," I mumble, brushing my hair back with my fingers.

"Bit surprised you're throwing a party," Louis chuckles, standing in front of Niall and I with his hands in his jean's front pockets. He's wearing a god-awful sweater, with snowmen and penguins on the front.

It looks like something my Nan would knit.

"Bit surprised you're wearing that hideous thing," I grimace, nodding towards his top.

He looks down, pulling at the hem of the sweater to get a better view. "Hailey made me," he grumbles, shaking his head.

"Sounds like both of your girls are trying to torture you," Niall snickers to my left, and I elbow him roughly in his side. "Ow! What the hell, mate-"

"We brought some sugar cookies," Hailey states, holding up the plate of cookies that are shaped like stockings, trees, and ornaments.

I fight the urge to roll my eyes at the ridiculous display.

"Thank you!" Katie says warmly, walking over to take the plate from her. "These are perfect."

She places it on the table covered with an array of snacks, and drinks that she purchased for the party. She has a soft smile on her lips as she takes the saran wrap off of the cookies, admiring each one. She's always been the type to find joy in the smallest things, even a plate of Christmas-themed dessert, apparently. I used to find it ridiculous, annoying even, but now it's one of my favorite things about her.