Twenty-One

Chapter song:

Distant by Cory Wells

-

"Stay away from me, the devil's got the best of me," I sing quietly along to the song playing as I mop the floor of the shop

"Stay away from me, the devil's got the best of me," I sing quietly along to the song playing as I mop the floor of the shop. "It's all you'll need to know."

Niall, Lucas, Elijah, and Louis have all gone home for the night, and I stayed later to finish closing. I don't mind it, though. I get to play whatever music I want, and sort of decompress after a long day.

I dip the mop into the bucket, and ring it out before plopping it back onto the floor. I watch the water spread across the granite as I inch closer to Harry's station, my nerves picking up. Even when he's not here, being around anything that reminds me of him gives me anxiety.

I haven't seen him since the party on Saturday night. He sent me a short text asking me to reschedule his appointments through Friday, which is today, meaning he should be back tomorrow.

I've enjoyed not having his dark presence around all week, and it's also given me a chance to sort through what happened between us. At the same time, I can't help but wonder if I'm the reason he's been missing work.

I mean, was the sex really that bad? I try to tell myself not to care about what he thinks, but it's kind of hard when he disappeared immediately after.

I don't care what he thinks.

Why would I? It was a stupid hook up, and we're supposed to hate each other. He's probably just as embarrassed as I am. I bet he'll walk in here tomorrow morning and act like I'm not even there, like he usually does. I hope so, at least.

I finish mopping, and dump the dirty water into the toilet like I do every night. We don't have a mop sink, so I have to make do.

Just stay away from me
The devil's got the best of me
And it's all I'll let you know

This is a fitting song for how I've been feeling recently. Harry has gotten me totally wrapped up in his mess of a life.

First, it was walking in on him snorting coke in the back room. I felt like a deer caught in headlights, completely caught off guard, and stuck with carrying around his dirty little secret.

Then, it was the drug dealing. When I saw him in the alley way, I knew I was fucked. He's bad news, and would never be the kind of person I choose to associate with. If I didn't like the rest of the guys so much, and being in an environment that I generally love, I would've left after the first week. He's the only bad thing about this job.

It's a pretty big thing, though.

And, of course, the warehouse. I still can't believe I found myself in that situation. I mean, what are the chances? I was just supposed to pick up the pizza, not get stuck in a dingy room with a gun held to my head. That was not something I ever planned on happening to me. Then again, who does?