Chapter 5

Mirror Mirror on the wall

***

Adeline pov

***

I was putting my books in my locker and taking out another one for the last subject I had. I closed my locker and turned around to head to Amber in the cafeteria. My eye caught someone and it felt like my body didn't dare to move.

He had this wavy black hair with a few strands that covered his eyes that were these daring green colors that could just lure you in without even trying. His smile was absolutely perfect and his body seemed so muscular.

He wrapped his arm around another man's shoulder that wasn't quite bad looking either. They both walked together and laughed all the way. Someone threw a ball at him and he caught it with one hand before stepping away from the other man.

He did one of those 'what's up' nods to the guy that threw the ball before he looked at me and smiled softly with his loveable siren eyes. My heart fell to my stomach and I felt like I was going to pass out. My cheeks got warmer by the second as he kept eye contact with me before turning away and heading off with his buddies.

What an experience. I snapped out of it and dashed to the cafeteria. Iris was back from the bathroom and I quickly sat next to Amber.

"You would not believe what just happened!" I squealed, interrupting the conversation Amber and Iris were having.

"What?" Amber laughed.

"I was just getting my book from the locker and I turned around and boom! This hot dude was there! He had these magnificent green eyes that make you fall for him, even more, every second..." I say the last sentence as I lean into my hand and daze off, imagining his face in my head.

"Oooh~ Someone's got a crush." Iris teased and I immediately shot up, gently slamming my hands onto the table as my eyes lit up in excitement.

"He smiled at me! He looked right at me! And smiled!" I exclaimed like a little kid that found their long-lost favorite toy or got the best present ever.

"Awwwww. Cuuuuute. Once I am done with college and all, give me the details. I want to write a book about this. 'Adeline falls for Mysterious Boy With Green Eyes'. No, wait. 'Long Lost Love.' " Amber explained as she moved her hands outwards in the air.

"That sounds depressing." Iris snorted and Amber glared at her.

"Then how 'bout you come up with a title?" Amber suggests sarcastically.

"K. How about 'at first glimpse'? " Iris responded proudly.

Amber twitched her eye and scoffed as she leaned back, crossing her arms over her chest while me and Iris laughed.

"I'm not even a book writer and I'm better than you." Iris joked while Amber just put her nose higher into the air, closing her eyes like those rich French people.

*~*

Iris pov

***

"She ignored me almost the whole day!" I laughed and so did the person over the phone.

"You guys can really argue over stupid things." Lexi giggled out.

"I know. I know." I rolled my eyes as I giggled.

"Anything that I need to know of from you?" I questioned straightforwardly.

"Hmmm...Oh yeah. I met this cute dude who is just fricking. Omw. He is such a gentleman." She laughed.

"Damn girl. You guys really be leaving me single. First Amber is taken. Then Adeline met a hot dude. Now you met a gentleman? You guys seriously got to stop." I pretended to be touched by it.

"Awww. I bet you'll find someone you like soon." She giggled softly.

"Nah. I doubt." I replied as I stared at the mirror across the bed from me.

"How so?" She asked, genuinely curious.

"Just...I don't know. I'm too out of their league." I lied and started scratching my leg with my free hand that wasn't holding the phone. It was a bad habit of mine. I'd scratch myself if lie or when I'm nervous. Luckily she couldn't see me now.

"Agreed." She laughed.

"Ugh. I have to go study." I whined as I noticed the time but also because I needed an excuse to just have alone time and let my thoughts have their talk so that I can get a move on with my life.

"You studied the whole time when it wasn't school. Do you really need to study more?" She complained and I could just imagine the pout on her face she had right now.

"I'm sorry... There is a test coming up so I need to get prepared for it." I pouted sadly.

"Fine. I need to study too anyways ...I guess. Oh well. Bye then." She sighed and I smiled.

"Byeee." I giggled before hanging up.

Not once have I looked away from the mirror. I faked a smile and immediately stopped. My teeth weren't perfect and neither was my nose. My face wasn't perfectly shaped like those beautiful girls. Sometimes I wish I could just be one of my friends. They were prettier and much better than me. Everyone liked them. If they confessed, the person would always accept.

Was it too much to ask for someone who would love me for me and never look at another? Or to spoil me, not with gifts, but with hugs and kisses? Or to text me first thing in the morning every day? Someone who would travel the earth for me, barefoot? Who would open the door for me or pull out the chair on our dates? I already said I'd accept the person for their imperfections, so why am I still not finding 'the one'?

Is it too much to ask for such a thing?

My eyes tear up but I quickly push them away and cover my ears. It always helped to stop the tears at such times. And like any other time, it worked. I sighed and went to my study desk before getting out my stuff and starting to make a summary of all the notes I took, even though I wasn't in the mood.