Chapter 9

The gym couple

***

"Sorry I'm late sir!" One familiar man ran into the room. One man I wished I'd never see again. One man I hated more than a fly. One that pretends he's a grown-up man.

"Reason?" The coach asked.

"I was absent for the month so I only found out now about the gym." The familiar voice echoed in my ears as his chuckles sent shivers down my spine.

I hated it. I hated how he still had this big of an impact on me. And I mostly hated that he just had to be in the same college as me.

"You're the student that was in the hospital?" The coach asked. I started getting worried when he sent the couch a nod. Why was he in the hospital? Why do I still care?

"Okay then. Join the rest junior." The coach ordered and the familiar boy laughed as he jogged over to all the other students, walking past me and sending me a wink.

I breathe out loudly - almost like a sigh but through my nose - as I turn my head away from him. But instead, Nolan came into my view and he smirked. I could just imagine him saying 'I know I'm hot but did anyone tell you that staring makes one uncomfortable?' Gosh, I want to smack that grin off his face so badly.

I roll my eyes and look back to the front once the familiar face passed me and was now in the back with some other boys.

It was none other than my ex of course. The one that played me and left me to rot. The one that lied to my very existence and made me hate myself when I was with him.

But still, he had this impact on me that made me worried as to why he was in the hospital. Or my heart that seemed to flutter slightly when he entered the room. Or the butterflies that encircled my stomach wildly. He still had that impact. I wish I never met him.

"So everyone. For today you will do different stations. Don't worry, there is enough stuff for everyone to do something. So...André. Go to the 50kg weight lift." He ordered and the man called André walked away from Nolan after they gave each other a small fist bump. I'm guessing they are buddies.

One by one, the coach put us by our positions. I was by the 30kg weight lift and at first, I thought it would be easy since I always carry 20kg stuff around in my room almost every day but...Like they say. Don't jinx it.

We needed to do exactly 50 of each set of equipment we get. Immediately everyone started with ease as the coach told us we can start. I took the weight from the pole and lifted it. At first, it was kind of easy until I had to pick it up. I grinded my teeth together as I tried to lift it to my chest so that I can get it above my head but it only came halfway before I dropped it.

I groaned and picked it up again but still failed miserably. I sigh out heavily and wrap my hands around the pole again, trying to lift it but my energy was drained from the previous two attempts.

"Tsk Tsk Tsk. Pathetic." I heard my ex, Caden, tease me as I looked at him before looking away again and sadly staring at the weight.

"You're doing it wrong." Nolan claimed as he walked up to beside me, surprising Caden.

"If you're going to tease me about it then please go away. I'm not in the mood for anyone's bullsh!t." I harshly warned but he didn't even budge.

"Not here to tease you. In fact, I'm here to help you. Nice of me, isn't it?" He winked and I just rolled my eyes.

"Don't lift it with your palm beneath the pole. That's common sense for even a beginner. Pick it up with one palm facing your legs and the other facing away." He demonstrated with the weight.

He then lifted it to his knees as he stood straight.

"When you bring it to your chest, try to more of all bounce it up in a way so that you can twist your palms to face the sky before quickly lifting it to above your head." He calmly said as he lifted the weight slowly like it was the easiest thing to ever do.

I blinked a few times before nodding hesitantly. He dropped the weight to the floor and I bent down a little, wrapping my hands around the pole as he demonstrated before. I looked at him and he nodded, giving a thumbs up before I lift it to my knees.

My legs wobble a little as I stand straight before pulling it up to my chest harshly and bouncing it the way he told me to and I turned my wrist a bit before quickly lifting it to over my head and dropping it down.

I let out a shaky breath and smiled as I looked toward him.

"Good. Now just do 49 more of that." He said with an innocent smile while mine immediately dropped to the floor.

I sigh and repeat it again but this time I let the weight fall by accident when it reached my chest. Nolan face palmed himself as he stared at my horrible state.

"Are you free in the evenings?" He asked and I frowned.

"After 4 in the week and Sundays yes. Why?" I asked with narrowed eyes.

No boy had ever asked me this, other than my ex of course.

"Meet me at the gym then. You seriously need some work to do." He snickered and I scoffed, offended by his remark. Though he wasn't lying. He had an 80kg weight and still lifted it like it was a brick of some sort and even the girls were looking much better and in shape than me.