Chapter 16

Angel beneath the Demon

***

After the whole incident in the hallway, I was not able to get my mind off of Nolan. Need me to give reasons? Well firstly, the way we couldn't break eye contact when he held me close to him. Secondly, the reason as to why Mrs. Madi and him were arguing and why he was crying. Thirdly, why everyone seems so worried about him?

It was lunch and Denis and Louis came to us to ask if we knew where Nolan was. Seems like they think we were close friends which I highly doubted.

And of course I did not tell them of what happened, because even though I might hate him does not mean I will spill his private life he tends to keep secret even though, according to him, I was sniffing around in his private life.

Anyway, I got myself a tray of food but only a little since I was not in the mood for eating and neither did I feel like eating because I felt like I could puke any second now, especially because I was lightheaded.

"Iris, you okay?" Amber worriedly asked me. I nodded with a faint smile as I took a bite of the food but immediately regretted it as it made me feel worse somehow. My whole appetite has just died.

"You look pale. Maybe you should go home." Classic Amber. I always come to school when I'm sick and Amber would always beg me to go home.

"I agree. You really don't look good." Adi chirped in. Great. Now I got another one to assure that I'm fine.

"It's just something I ate last night. An upset stomach. Anyone has those. I'm fine." I said, making it quite clear that I was annoyed now with everyone asking me if I was okay. It was giving me a headache.

They both got quiet and continued eating. I sighed and pushed my tray to them.

"Dig away. I don't have the appetite. I'm going to go outside for some fresh air." I calmly told them and they nodded before I walked away.

I headed out the doors and toward the back of the school. I thought no one would be there but to my surprise, someone was. Nolan was standing in the corner with his back facing me as I catch him pulling out a lighter and lighting a cigarette in his mouth before putting the lighter away into his pocket.

He leaned against the wall and blew out a puff of smoke and right when he put it back into his mouth, I did the stupidest thing and intervened in his life again. I grabbed the cigarette.

"Smoking? Really?" I scoffed and threw the cigarette on the floor before stomping on it till it died.

He clenched his jaw as he stared at me with fury in his eyes that would send anyone running away. And though it did scare me, I stood my ground.

"Here to sniff around in my life again?" He sarcastically questioned.

I sighed softly before leaning against the wall across from him. It was almost like an alleyway so it was quite tight in here

"No... Sorry. I did that out of instinct." I laughed nervously as I stared at the ground.

"Then why are you here?" He asked, lifting one brow.

"I wanted to get fresh air. Everyone kept asking me if I was okay and it was getting on my nerves so... Here I am." I replied as I locked eyes with him. His eyes seemed brighter now.

"Well... You don't look good so I do not blame them." He softly chuckled.

"You look like a ghost. You could scare away kids with your paleness." He joked and I punched his arm lightly as a smile formed on my lips. A genuine one this time.

Then it got silent. But... It was a comfortable silence. He let out a soft sigh as he slid down the wall and sat on the floor, his knees brought slightly to his chest and his arms lazily hanging over them as he stared at the clear blue sky that had small clouds here and there.

"I don't mean to... Intervene or whatever but-" "But you want to know why I was smoking just now?" He cut me off and I nodded nervously. What can I say? If I was a curious cat, I probably would have died by now.

He sighed again before looking at the floor and patting the open space next to him. I sat down exactly at that spot he patted and looked at him, noticing the slight red in the outer corners of his eyes and nose.

He must have been crying.

"Before all this... 'Bad Boy behavior' stuff, I was an innocent boy who lived an almost perfect life. Until something happened and well... I got a turn for the worst. I stole my dad's old cigarettes and started smoking because everyone said it calmed them. And it worked at first... Not anymore." He chuckled lowly.

"Then why do you still smoke?" I questioned. I knew I was being too curious but at least I avoided asking what he meant by 'until something happened'.

"Haven't smoked in weeks. Thought smoking would calm me again and it did. Until you pulled it away from me." He faced me and I could now see his wet eyes. It was like tears were threatening to fall any second now but he was pushing them aside.

"Are you bipolar?" I tried to joke, hoping to get a smile from him. He looked at me confused which was my cue as I put on a playful smirk.

"One moment you're nice and the next you're not." I attempt, but obviously it was a fail as I saw him frown.

He looked back at the ground in front of him as he starts to fiddle with his fingers.

"Sorry." I apologized softly as my eyes roamed his face before looking away.

It got quiet again but this time it was an awkward silence. The bell suddenly rang and I got a fright for my life. I needed to get to math class. I stood up as fast as lightning and my dear body decided to have a 'low on iron' moment and once again. I was to meet the floor.