Chapter 13

Eyes for another, Heart for a lover

***

I finally got out of that jail detention room. To be honest, it wasn't that bad. Maybe it was because the teacher wasn't there, or maybe it was because Denis and Louis were accompanying me which made everything less boring.

And yes. I found out what the mysterious guy's name is, Louis Martin. A year older than me and in class 12C. After a long chat we had together, I got to know all about the silly things they have done together and how they got in trouble for many things.

Denis would crack a stupid joke that somehow ended up being funny and Louis would take it further, making us crack up even more. Even Mister Morelli with either a cold stare or ugly frown, managed to turn his frown upside down every now and then before putting a straight face on again every time I looked at him.

It was now lunch time and everyone seemed to have chosen to sit in the cafeteria today because, let me tell you, it was packed. I could have sworn everyone was standing in line to get their soul renewed or something that did not include the definition of 'boring'. It looked worse than those sudden traffic moments you catch when you are late for work or school.

"Well, I'm definitely not going to stand in that CUE." I stated, genuinely shocked to the core since I walked in and awkwardly sat down after contemplating whether or not I should go stand in that line to get food that my stomach was badly begging for.

"You think? I rather starve to death than waste the rest of my lunchtime in that line." Amber agreed as she sighed and rested her head on her right hand, her eyes seeming to show just how bored and tired she was.

"Why is everyone even here? Usually, it's a lot more quiet." I questioned them curiously with a small frown erupting onto my face that showed just how hungry I was and if I were to not eat in the next 15 minutes, I would probably collapse and die.

"Apparently everything is cheaper today and there are new drinks and food they brought in that would be a little more pricy after today." Adeline replied as she took a sip from her glittery pink water bottle that had a slight white or gray at the top, just under the lid.

"Oh. Good for them." I said in a monotone voice. By now my stomach was going wild and I was begging the heavens above that no one should hear it. You know those times when it gets real quiet or you're writing a test and your stomach starts to grumble like wild? Yeah well, it wasn't even quiet right now and I'm pretty sure that the whole cafeteria heard my stomach by now. That's how loud it was.

"Hey." I heard a soothing husky voice echo through my ears that were yearning for a soft and gentle sound. And this sudden voice seemed to have earned my attention. I face the owner whose soft voice it belonged to.

"Louis." His name effortlessly rolled off my tongue that wanted to taste a fair piece of food to fill up my empty and grumpy stomach.

"Mind if I sit?" He carefully questioned as he eyed Amber and Adeline for a split second before averting his gaze back to me and putting on a small and nervous smile.

I looked toward Amber and Adi to ask for their approval and they both nodded. I looked back at Louis and nodded with a friendly smile before he sat down and placed a tray of food in front of him. I'm taking a wild guess and saying that it wasn't just my mouth that was watering as we eyed all the different dishes on that tray that literally called out for us.

My stomach grumbled loudly and I nervously looked at Louis who seemed to be holding in a peal of small laughter. He eventually breathed out, making the chuckle that was hiding come out too. Amber and Adi were also laughing a little now.

"You all can have some. Just don't take all of it. And that's a warning." He joked and immediately we all started to dig in like some hungry pigs that haven't eaten in days. What can I say? I love food. It's the only reason as to why I'm still alive. Not even oxygen can beat delicious food.

"How did you even get your food after standing in that line?" I questioned him, not taking my eyes off the piece of chicken wing I was enjoying right now. It had a unique flavor to it.

"I didn't." He replied, almost sounding proud with a hint of monotone.

I looked at him, my eyes revealing just how confused I was. Amber and Adi were paying close attention to our conversation but their vocal cords seemed to be more occupied by the food. Or should I rather say their mouth?

"I don't have to stand in line to get my food. I just go to the back and Mrs. Madi gives us our food. VIP I guess." He shrugged before taking a bite from a healthy-looking burger as he sent me a heartwarming smile that shot lovely daggers through my heart.

"Talk about being the white bread in school." Amber sarcastically stated as she took another bite of the the chicken she has been eyeing this whole time. Almost as if it was going to be her last meal of a lifetime. But I can't blame her, can I? I'm pretty sure I look much worse. Like a vampire having their first taste of their favorite blood type.

"Me? No. Mrs. Madi might like us but we only get treated like a VIP because of Nolan." he shrugged, taking the last bite of his burger as he calmly enjoys it.

"How come?" Adi curiously asks after Nolan's name got brought up by Louis. Well, she liked him so why wouldn't she be?

"Mrs. Madi used to babysit Nolan when he was young." Shocker.