Chapter 18

Boyfriend? No.

***

♡︎☯︎☘︎☯︎♡︎

Iris Pov

I heard beeping noises softly in my ears, becoming slightly louder. Soft whispers were coming from my right and my arm felt very sore. My eyes slowly opened and scanned the room. I saw my mom and dad talking to a doctor. I then looked everywhere else. Heart monitor, drip in my arm and a figure sitting on the chair on my left.

When my eyes finally focused 100%, I saw Nolan. He was awake and stared at the foot of the hospital bed with one arm across his chest and the other over his mouth.

I moved my finger and parted my lips. I wanted to speak his name but it came out as a soft and deep raspy whisper. I flinched as my throat felt sore and dry.

His eyes traveled up to me and his eyes slightly widened as he took his hand away from his mouth and sat up straight, clearly tense.

"Iris." My name rolled out of his mouth and echoed in my ears. I let a smile spread onto my face when I saw his.

"Iris!" I heard two voices that belonged to my mother and step father. I looked over to my right again and was crushed by a hug before I could even process it.

"Water." I let out as clearly as I can. I was handed a glass of water by Nolan, I wanted to take it but he already held it against my dry lips. I started slowly gulping it down before he took it away and I licked my lips, my throat feeling better again.

"What happened?" I asked confused as to why I was in a hospital.

"You were food poisoned, sweety." My mother replied and I nodded in understanding.

"You are pretty lucky this young man brought you over here before your fever could go any higher." The doctor stated as he walked over to me with a pen and notebook in his hands. He had a freshly shaved beard and wavy black hair with icy blue eyes. I would say he was in his 40s.

I looked over to Nolan who nervously looked away.

"I remember." I said and I could have sworn that I saw a light blush on Nolan's cheeks before he turned away and pretended to get something from the table there. Water perhaps.

"Well you are doing much better now so if you keep that up, you can go home before tonight but I would advise you to take off for a day or two of school." Doctor's orders I guess.

"Irisssssssss!" A voice echoed down the hall just down us and became louder as footsteps ran over to my room and stopped at the door. It was Lexi. Behind her came an out-of-breath Amber and a chill Adeline, still on her way to the door.

"You have no idea how worried I was when I got the call from Amber!" Lexi sobbed and engulfed me in a hug when she reached the bed.

"No jokes. You didn't show up for class and when I had to hear from Denis that you were sent to the hospital, I immediately rushed over." Amber stated in a shaky voice as she held my hand. I looked over to Adeline who stared at Nolan with a weird expression. It was anger and pain mixed.

"Thanks for the worry but I'm fine now." I assured everyone.

"I should go get my things at school." Nolan spoke to me with a soft smile and I nodded before he walked to the door.

"Not that fast young man. We need to talk." The doctor said and I could see Nolan clench his jaw before the doctor walked up to him and placed his hand on Nolan's back, leading him away from all of us.

"I'm glad you're okay." My father sweetly said as he brushed my hair to behind my ear. I smiled for a split second before I stopped and tried to see if I could catch Nolan somewhere. They were in an office and the doctor from before closed the blinds and an angry-looking Nolan was no longer in sight.

"Who was that doctor?" I asked as I looked at my parents.

"Mr. Morelli I think. Hot right?" My mom joked and my dad just sent a glare in her direction.

"Oh, I was joking." She said nonchalantly as she eyed my father.

"Who was the boy by the way? You're boyfriend?" My father questioned, ignoring my mother.

"What? No." I replied with a frown.

"Ooh~ You're blushing." Lexi teased.

"You know I won't be mad, Iris. As long as he won't hurt you and you love him." My father assured me.

"Dad, no. We're not dating." I said again with a serious expression this time. This is my step father. I always felt comfortable calling him dad since he was a better role model that my real dad.

"Mhm~ We'll see about that." My mom hummed with a smirk on her lips as she nodded with that 'suuuuure' look in her eyes.

"I'm going to the bathroom." Adeline said out of the blue and walked out of the room, no one paying attention to her except for me.

I sighed, knowing she must have misunderstood what was happening between me and Nolan. But to be honest, not even I knew what was happening between the both of us. Whatever it was, got people to misunderstand our relationship between us.

I'd say we're frienemies. Yeah. That's one way to put it.

After a long day of everyone's worry for me, I finally got to go home. I jumped into my bed with victory as I missed this bed so much. The hospital bed was so hard and uncomfy.

I stretched before heading to the bathroom and stripping down my clothes, taking a shower, and heading back to bed after getting dressed again. I plopped down onto my bed and put off the bed lamp before laying down on my back. I started to reflect on the events of today and it made me wonder a few things about one particular person. You guessed it.

Nolan.

I brushed it away and turned to my side before drifting off to sleep.