Chapter 31

Frienemies?

***

Vacation was over and everyone was back at school. Nolan and I had decided to keep the relationship private for now. Not even his friends could know. As for the reason? Well we couldn't let Adeline and Caden find out otherwise we both might get hurt and we didn't want to involve the rest. But in order to do that, we had to pretend to be enemies infront of Adeline and them.

I went to my locker, packing out some books and keeping everything I needed with me. I close my locker and when I turn to my side, I jump back in fright. Nolan was leaning on one of the lockers, looking at me with a smirk and his hands in his pockets. He held a notebook between one of his arms.

"Sorry princess. Did I scare you?" He jokes sarcastically and I just shake my head, giggling softly.

"What happened to keeping a low profile?" I questioned, lifting my one eyebrow and crossing my arms over my chest.

"I can still tease my 'friend', can't I?" He winked and I just rolled my eyes.

"We're enemies, Nolan. Not friends." I reminded him and walked off.

I heard him chuckle and walk away. I shook my head, trying to push away the heat that was rushing to my cheek. I walked into the first class I had for the day and saw Amber. She glared at me for a second before looking back down.

I sat far back in the corner and took out my book and pen. The teacher walked in right after the bell rang and did attendance before she started teaching. I scribbled down notes and examples while she talked.

The next two classes passed by in a heartbeat and the next thing I knew, it was lunch time. I made my way to the boys and sat down before Nolan came along.

"Look who decided to join the party." I pretended to be rude.

He rolled his eyes and sat down with his food.

"I can sit with my friends whenever I want. I was here before you." He pretended to argue.

"But in the end, you were the one that left and I didn't. " I argued back.

"Oh please. I didn't have a choice. Get that in your tiny little bird brain. Oh wait. You don't have one."

"Excuse you? I will need you to repeat that again." I stood up, pretending to be overwhelmed with rage.

He stood up too and came closer to me before loudly whispering:

"Bird brain. That's what you are." He rudely said to me.

I pushed him and turned around.

"I need fresh air." I sighed out and walked away. What can I say? In order to make them believe, it needed to seem real.

I saw Adeline walk past me, eyeing me up and down as she walks to Nolan. I roll my eyes and walk down the hall. I caught sight of three boys that used to beat me up.

I turned to walk the other way but got slammed against the wall.

"Agh!" I yelled, holding my head in pain. The one boy was standing infront of me and the other two were beside me.

"Look what we have here. Just who I wanted to see." He said with a smirk and put his hand on my cheek.

I needed to escape. I spat in his face as he moves away from me. I push the one guy onto the floor and run off as fast as I can. The three were now on my tail. I make a sharp turn to another hall and then again. They were now far behind me so I hid in the janitors closet.

I breathe a sigh of relief. The door suddenly opens and closes, a out of breath Nolan tumbling in. He was shocked to see me and I was too.

"What-?" He put his finger over my mouth and indicated me to be quite.

Footsteps ran past us but there was a extra set of footsteps following soon after.

He sighs in relief and moves his finger away from my lips.

"What a sence of deja vu? Fancy meeting you here again." He softly jokes and I scoff.

"Let me guess. Adeline?" I ask and he nods. I softly chuckle and so does he.

He stares into my eyes for a few seconds before cupping my cheek.

"I know this isn't the best moment but, Iris... Will you be my girlfriend? Like... officially?" he asked nervously and I nodded, placing a kiss on his soft and plumpy lips.

We both chuckled and got lost in each other's eyes once again.

He gulped and the next thing I knew, his lips were pressed against mine. I kissed him back, wrapping my arms around his neck as his one hand stays on my cheek and the other behind my head. He deepens the kiss and presses me against the only tiny wall there was.

He moves his hands down to my waist before wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into a hug, breaking the kiss.

"I love you." He softly whispers in my ear, leaving a kiss on my forehead and backing away as soon as the bell interrupted our sweet moment.

"See you soon, princess." He winked playfully and I rolled my eyes, laughing at his flirtatious attitude.

He opens the door and walks out after taking a peek around. I soon walk out too and make my way to class. The rest of the day went on like we wanted it to. The boys thought we really hated each other and Adeline seemed proud that it was like this.

But I had this one unsettling feeling. Like something was going to happen very soon. I couldn't help but think that whatever it was, I had to be prepared for whatever was to come. It was an unsettling feeling that no one wants to experience when you started dating someone you deeply love.

Whatever it was, I hope it had nothing to do with Nolan. He's too precious to me.