Chapter 19

A Thank You To My Saviour

***

It's been two days and my parents finally allowed me to go to school after I literally proved to them that I was alright. Going to school was like any other day filled with classes, boring lunch times other than the unstoppable laughter from me and Amber and Adi pretending she doesn't know us.

I saw Nolan walk past me a few times at school but I didn't have the guts to speak out for some reason. I needed to thank him. He was going through a tough time and still ended up helping me. Hell, he even paid for the hospital bill.

I need to thank him. I just have to. So. I decided that when I will have to meet him at the gym after school, which will be in less than a minute, I will thank him like I am thanking a hero for saving my everything I have. Cliché? Thought so.

I was already dressed in my gym clothes and standing in front of the gym room. I opened up the door and there he was, lifting a 60kg weight and dropping it repeatedly. He was deadlifting. I put my bag down and I guess he spotted me in the mirror because he stopped what he was doing and turned to face me, a little surprised to see me.

"I thought you'd come a little later. Don't you have extra classes today?" He questioned as he took out his earphones.

"Yes but I'm not really in the mood for it today." I shrugged awkwardly as he walked up to me.

"Someone made you mad?" He asked with a smirk and I instantly glared at him.

"No. I just felt like not having extra classes today. I think I had quite enough of it for now." I admitted and he nodded.

"Shall we get started?" He pointed to the weights and I nodded. He turned away and was about to walk to the weights.

"Nolan?" I called out to him and he turned to face me.

"I just... I wanted to say thank you. You seemed to have been going through a rough time and... in the end you had to take care of me. You even paid for the hospital bills. I can't thank you enough." I smiled shyly and his eyes softened. There was this unknown emotion I have never seen before in his eyes. But only for a split second.

He smiled and signaled me to start lifting. I scoffed as he clearly ignored my thanks that was so hard for me to spill. It took me the whole day to try and figure out what to say.

I started deadlifting, and thanks to Nolan, I was able to do the 50kg now.

"Do you not care about the fact that it took me a whole day to say just that?" I questioned as I stared at him through the mirror while I picked up the weight.

"Why did it take you so long?" He asked back.

"Because I was nervous."

"Why were you nervous?"

There it was. His mischievous smirk. I didn't know why I was nervous either. I had to really think about it... But I couldn't for too long. So I came up with an excuse.

"Maybe because it was the first time something like that happened to me?" I said in a questioning tone as my voice got higher and higher with each word.

"Mhm. Whatever you say... eyeball." He teases and I glared at him through the mirror.

"I will kill you." I threatened and he just lifted his hands up in defeat.

I let a small chuckle escape my lips before he walks to two ropes that were laid out on the floor and picked them up as he started swinging them up and down with force. Don't underestimate those. They are heavy.

It got quiet again. It seems like this silence is something that always happens between me and Nolan. I started to think about the doctor, Mr. Morelli. I wonder if they are...

"The doctor that my parents were taking to, Mr. Morelli, is he your father?" I asked, breaking the silence only to be trapped in another one.

"Yeah." He replied coldly after he stopped moving the ropes around and just stared at the floor before looking at me through the mirror.

"Will you thank him for me?" I asked and he nodded hesitantly.

I saw him clench his jaw before walking over to a pole to do pull-ups fiercely.

Did he and his father get into an argument?

I shrugged it off and finished up with everything and headed home after saying goodbye to Nolan. He seemed dazed after I asked about his father but I didn't want to ask as I was scared he would yell at me again.

I got home and greeted my mom with a playful smirk as an idea popped up.

"What? Why are you smiling like that?" She asked, suspecting my actions as I took a step forward.

"What are you doing?"

"I just want to give my mom a hug." I smiled innocently and her eyes widened.

"Hell no." She shook her head and was about to escape until I pulled her into a hug.

"Ewwwwww!" My mother complained as I hugged her, my sweaty body pressed against hers.

"You stink! Iris! I will throw you with my shoe and stick it up your nose!" She threatened.

I pecked her cheek and ran away like a naughty kid running from a beating. I heard my mom chase after me but I closed the door and locked it as soon as I got into my room.

I heard my mom let out a laugh and so did I. I then took a sniff and realized that I was seriously sweaty and stinky. I will have to take a super long shower to get rid of this scent.

I took my pajamas and went straight for the shower with no doubt in my mind.