Chapter 30

Feelings For A Close Friend

***

For the rest of the vacation, my mom and dad teased me for having a 'boyfriend', aka Nolan, which wasn't true. I liked Nolan... Perhaps even loved him, but we weren't dating.

I had to take pills everyday for the wound of the snake bite to heal without causing any infection. But I must say, this vacation was the shortest one I probably ever had.

Me and Nolan mostly spent our time talking over the phone and playing Call Of Duty together. It was honestly funny because we kept running into each other and shooting each other, forgetting we were teammates. On other times I would pretend I was elsewhere and come up behind him, scaring the crap out of him once he turns around and sees me behind him.

But of course, all fun and games come to an end once the word 'school' pops up on your phone as a reminder that school is starting tomorrow. Yes, I put reminders on my phone to notify me when school starts because I once thought school started three days too early and showed up at school with no one there.

And at that time, I didn't have a car and home was a long long walk to get there and a dangerous one too. So I had to wait for my mom to come back from work 6 hours later. I just sat at a little cafe next to the school and scrolled through unfinished books on my phone.

My phone started ringing and I answered after seeing the name of the contact.

"Nolan." I spoke with a smirk.

"Iris." He copied my tone and I could just imagine the smirk on his face.

"Why did you call?" I questioned.

"Oh, it was an accident but I didn't want to hang up because I felt it would be rude." He explained.

I shook my head and giggled softly.

"You are... I don't know what." I shook my head.

"Hot?​ Bad a$$? Sexy? Yup. That's me to sum it up for you." He joked, causing me to choke on my own saliva and laugh through coughs.

"You forgot stupid." I added after a while and he gasped offendedly.

"How dare you say that? I'm very smart, you see. I get above 80% for all my subjects." He stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

We laughed again and eventually it died down.

"Your parents home?" He questioned.

"Nope. They went shopping with Liam." I replied with a smile. Liam finally told us what our real dad did, so now we're fighting to let him stay with us.

"What house do you even live at? I know we live in the same street but I never seen your house." He chuckled a little.

"156. It has gray walls." I replied.

"Ohhhh! That's where you live. The one with all the dwarves in the front garden." He laughed.

"OKAY. I get it." I rolled my eyes and laughed along.

It got quiet again and I couldn't help but think about something that has been on my mind for a while now.

"Nolan?" I softly asked as my eyes softened and I put my phone on speaker before placing it down onto the bed. My door was closed and, like I said, everyone was out so it didn't bother me to put it on speaker.

"Yeah?" He asked back. His tone was softer so I was guessing he knew I was going to ask something serious.

"You told me you don't care what anyone will think if you hang out with me again... But Adeline... Won't she hurt me? Hurt you? And Caden-" I shouldn't have said Caden.

"What about Caden?" He asked with all seriousness in his tone.

"Oh nothing. I only meant Adeline." I tried to shrug the topic off but he didn't take the hint.

"Iris." He said in a monotone voice.

"Yes?" I tried to joke.

"Spill." He ordered strictly and I sighed.

"I can't." I breathed out, my voice cracking halfway.

"Open the door for me, Iris." He softly whispered and the next thing I knew, there was a knock on the front door.

I left my phone upstairs and came down, opening the front door. Nolan was standing there with the phone to his ear before hanging up and smiling down at me.

He held his arms out and I hugged him as he wraps his arm around me. I haven't seen him all week and it was a surprise to see him on the front porch.

"Come in."

He walked inside, closing the door behind him. We went to my room and sat on the bed.

"Are you going to tell me now?" He questioned.

A tear rolled down and landed on my thigh.

"I can't." My voice broke and I couldn't hold it in anymore.

He pulled me onto his lap and hugged me as I sobbed into his shoulder.

"You can tell me, Iris." He assured me in the softest tone I ever heard.

"He threatened me. If I tell anyone what he did to me, he'll hurt them. And if I'm close to you... he'll kill you."

He caressed my back and whispered comforting words into my ear.

"What did he do to you?"

"He gave me a hickey once... and he tried to do things to me at the camp." I admitted.

He pecked my forehead and slightly swayed side to side with me, still caressing my back as he comforts me.

"He won't touch you again. No one will even dare to lay a finger on you or anyone else. I promise." He assured me.

I looked up at him, caught in his hypnotizing eyes.

Then I did what my mind could not imagine.

I kissed him.

He didn't kiss back so I pulled away.

"Sorry, I-" I was about to explain myself with a lame excuse until he put his hand behind my head and placed his lips on mine.

Our lips moved together, passionately. His hands traveled away from my head and stopped on my waist as I wrapped mine around his neck.

"Iris, we're home!" The voice of my brother called out and footsteps came up the stairs.

We stopped kissing and I chuckled, pushing him out to the window.

"Go before my brother sees you. He wants you dead." I laughed softly and so did he.

I turned around to walk to the door.

"Hey, Iris." I stopped and looked at him.

"I love you." He whispered, but loud enough for me to hear before climbing down the window. I smiled and opened my door, walking to my brother that just arrived infront of my room with the smile of a puppy.