Chapter 35

Care In A Bad Timing

***

Saturday

*-*

I waited patiently at my house to see if anyone would come. On Wednesday, me and Nolan figured out their plan after I told him that Caden would also be there too, with me.

We suspect that they might be testing us. Caden might have told me when the date would take place but never where. So if I was to show up, it would confirm that me and Nolan had something between us. They were putting the two of us to the test.

So I had to wait at my home on the porch. Alone. Awkwardly. In the middle of the neighborhood. As cars drove by. Gosh, my anxiety was beyond sky high.

I was wearing a sage dress that hugged my curves in every place. It stopped just above my knees. I had my hair done into a rose bun and had white converse shoes on. I did not go well with heels so it was all I had that I liked.

Eventually a car came to a halt infront of the porch and I recognised it immideatly. It was Caden's car. Well, his dad's to be precise.

It was a cherry red Landrover. I never liked that car. It was too bright, especially in the sun, but luckily it was sun down now.

"You didn't come over to the restaurant. I was getting worried." He claimed with a smirk.

"You never told me where I needed to go." I spat out like it was obvious and climbed into the passenger seat, closing the door and putting on my seatbelt.

"I thought you would ask Nolan?" He asked with pursed lips as he started to drive off.

"Pfft. Please. The only thing I would ask that jerk is if he died yet." I joked, rolling my eyes as I pretended to hate Nolan.

Hopefully today would be the last day I needed to play pretend.

"You really hate him? Back at camp I started to get worried that you might be getting closer to him again." Caden laughed and so did I.

"I'm glad that was just a thought. I wouldn't want to actually be close to him. Not after what he had done to me." I scoffed and pretended to be furious yet sad.

I was feeling a little down to be honest. I yearned for Nolan's comfort right now as the thought of Amber came up in my mind. She doesn't deserve to be lied to and betrayed. She is innocent.

We came to a halt infront of the Cafe and I recognised it.

"Isn't this where-"

"We had our first date? Yeah." Caden cut me off, finishing my sentence. I grimaced at the thought but kept myself composed and smiled sadly before quickly walking in and pushing away the happy moments here.

Here was where Caden was still a good person. Here was where I knew I liked him.

Keyword being liked, as in past tence and not love.

I noticed Adeline and Nolan seated in the far corner at the back. Adeline was facing me while Nolan's back was the only thing I saw. But I knew it was him. She smirked and motioned me to come over, Nolan turning to look, correction, stare, at me as I walk over.

I sat next to him while Caden sat next to Adeline. I kicked Nolan on his shin for staring at me like a lovesick puppy, and even though I found it cute and nearly blushed, we needed to stay in character.

But I have to admit, I was nervous. My boyfriend I need to pretend I hate and my two enemies I legitimately hate. All in one room? That's hell for you, alright.

"So. care to fill us in on what happened after the camp? You two seemingly hate each other more than ever and I can't help but let the curiosity get the best of me." Caden smirked.

Me and Nolan looked at each other with hatred, but only I could see the love in his eyes. we both rolled our eyes and turned away from each other.

I nearly laughed at how we were acting like babies that didn't want to share the cookie.

"Aww come on~ I also want to know." Adeline hummed effortlessly, moving her hands around as if she had manicured nails.

"What happened?" She chuckled lowly as she rested her head on both her palms.

"Your a-hole of a boyfriend kept wanting to apologize for what he had done, stating it was a 'misunderstanding'. So I may or may not have kicked his a$$." I said in a tone that indicated fake sweetness as I blinked my eyes like an innocent child.

"You make it sound as if it is my fault. Maybe if you just listened to me-" He tried to argue and I could tell half of it was real anger. Maybe he did feel a little remorse for how I ignored him back there.

"Oh, shut up. You're giving me a headache." I put my hands to my ears, blocking all sounds before taking them away again when Caden and Adeline started laughing at the two of us.

"It's like watching a comedy movie." Adeline joked with a wide smile as she shook her head slightly and took a sip of her drink. I'm guessing it was wine because, boy, did it smell weird.

"Enough though. I would love to enjoy my food." Caden continued the conversation just when the food had arrived. I didn't even order but Caden knew well what I liked so I didn't even mind.

The waiter placed our food infront of us and I started digging away, so did everyone else. It was silent for a moment. I didn't know whether I should be appreciative about the silence or scared of what's to come after the silence. One thing was for sure. I was stressed and anxious as hell.

I hoped this event would pass by quickly.