lunchings; 1.10

Bella's note: Please don't hate me?? (I'm home sick today so probably a double update!!)

Unedited
__________
The next day, the girl's friends had her invite Rosy Cheeks to sit with them at their lunch table for the day, so that they could get to know him better. And to try to set them up (not that they told Pale Eyes that.) At first, she'd tried to refuse, but then they dragged her over to where he normally stood at break, and she managed to force the words out with her distinctive pink cheeks and tips of her ears. He of course, had said yes with a matching skin color and his easy smile.

The minutes till lunch had ticked by quickly, with the clock sounding louder with every click, making the girl horribly on edge. She was afraid of what the boy would think of her and her friends. She knew how embarrassing they could be, and she already humiliated herself enough in front of the boy. But when the lunch bell finally rang, she bolted from her seat with her floral backpack hardly on her shoulders, to avoid the mass of people as much as she could. Her nimble steps carried her to her locker to grab her lunch (as the cafeteria food often made her ill) and to their usual table in record time. Even her friends were taken aback by her punctuality.

She was about to sit down, when she felt someone tap her shoulder gently, to which she turned and found Rosy Cheeks with his usual smile. Without an exchanging of words, he pulled out her chair and gave a little nod of his head towards it. She ducked her head nervously and plopped down, attempting to scootch herself in until he slid the chair closer to the table for her. With a quick glance around the table, she could see that all her friends were ever so close to letting out sounds of awe at the boy's interactions with her.

He stood expectantly at her friends, silently asking with a raised eyebrow where he should sit. Nearly all of them pointed to the spot next to Pale Eyes, even some of the friend's boyfriends, whom would probably get scolded later for not having as good finesse as the boy. Rosy Cheeks' smile because one of nervousness as he slid in next to the girl.

All the friends greeted him, which he addressed polietly in return, and then he put his attention on the girl, looking down at her with his twinkling chocolate eyes. "Hello there." He said lightly, giving her a small smile.

The girl looked up with her big eyes and returned his expression with a shy one of her own. "Hello." She replied, leaning over to grab her lunch from her bag.

When she placed it on the table, she found him doing the same. She was taken aback slightly by the fact that he too brought his own lunch, which hardly any of her friends did. The boy found her looking and his smile widened and his head tilted to the side, "Penny for your thoughts, Pale Eyes?" He asked.

She rolled her eyes at him and gave a tiny shake of her head, "Its just.. You bring your own lunch too." She lilted, her voice holding a slight rasp to it.

"Honestly, I think I'd rather take four AP exams in one day that eat a bite of their food." The boy muttered, pulling out a sandwich and apple from his paper bag.

The girl giggled, earning the boys immediate attention, his thinking eyes set directly on her. "All of my friends tease me for never eating cafeteria food. Its good to know I'm not the only one who'd prefer not to get food poisoning."

The boy nodded slowly, watching the girl as she took out a little plastic container of last nights leftovers and a small yogurt. He didn't notice that everyone sitting at their table was observing them. The smile upon his face widened when he saw the girl bring her swinging legs up into a criss cross up on the uncomfortable plastic chairs; her shortness preventing only the tip of her toes from reaching the floor.

They both began to eat with their comfortable silence, each seeming to enjoy each others company and listening to other's conversations. Other peoples lives were so interesting to the two, especially the girl who loved all her friends with all of her heart.

Then, with a startled gasp from the girl, Rosy Cheeks' attention was brought to her again. "What?" He asked hurriedly, a bit afraid of what she was going to say.

"Damn it! I forgot to do my Algebra II homework!" She blurted, with cheeks blazing from the attention she received from the table. "I'm going to get a detention if I don't hand it in, he's such a stickler... I'm not going to be able to get it done what do I-"

The boy politely cut off her nervous rambling, by placing a hand on her arm and giving a gentle squeeze. "Hey, don't worry. I can help you. I actually have my book with me, I have it next period." He said calmly.

The girl flushed darker and nodded quickly, shoving the last bite of food in her mouth. As the boy reached to the middle of the table to grab his book, she nervously mumbled, "Do you have a pencil I could borrow? I left my bag upstairs.. and.. uh. yeah."

The boy nodded while flipping to the right page inside the large textbook. "They're in one of the smaller pockets of my backpack, I'm not sure which though."

The girl leaned over and grabbed one of the straps of his bag and pulled it into her lap. She sighed quietly as she opened one of the pockets, because the bag smelled faintly of his smell, which she had unknowingly began to become familiar with. The first slot she'd opened had nothing in it but a pack of gum, the second a few folded up papers. And the third was where her heart stopped.

Resting inside the bottom of the pocket, was a little orange cynlinder with a white cap. With a hesitant and shaking hand, she slid it inside to lift up a little closer to her line of sight, though it was still confined in the fabric of the bag. She felt horribly wrong for evading his space, as she read the label on the bottle, which was filled to the rim with little capsules. On it, it had a name. Rosy Cheeks'. And on it, it said:

Sertraline (Zoloft)
50 mg - TAKE ORALLY ONCE A DAY

The date listed on filled was nearly a month ago, and it was nowhere near empty.

He wasn't taking his meds.

"Did you find a pencil?" The boy asked, snapping the girl back to reality for a second.

She nodded hastily as she zipped up the pocket and opened another, to find a whole compartment filled with mechanical pencils. She held one up for the boy to see and then closed his backpack up and set it on the floor, earning a smile from the boy.

The girl sat in shock and silence for the rest of lunch, half heartedly accepting help from the boy. He always seemed so happy. She couldn't help but look at him in surprise, she had had her suspicions, but now she knew she was right. And she didn't know what to do. Or if she should do anything at all.
______

(P.s. Zoloft is an antidepressant.)