Masamune Date Romantic Route Chapter 11

After Sasuke left, I was alone in my room, reflecting on our conversation. I've made my choice to stay in the past.  Talking with him had helped solidify my feelings on the matter.

          Sasuke: "It looks like you're enjoying yourself here. I did.
          ---
          "You've got a very nice smile. Is that because of him?"

When I first came here, I felt very differently about this time period.  I considered just shutting myself inside my room and waiting out my three months, as though it was a prison sentence. It felt like everything was the opposite of what I knew and was accustomed to. Travel was difficult and danger was overwhelming.

But Masamune encouraged and inspired me.

          Masamune: "Life is there for you to enjoy it. You can do that however you like, just make sure you're doing that for you, not for anyone else."
          ---
          "If you try to live anyone else's way, you'll end up with regrets. You can curl up into a ball in your room, or go out riding and laughing with friends. Either way, you'll get hungry sometime. But I know from experience, the food tastes a lot better when you're laughing than when you're scared."

He's been inspiring me ever since.  He was the reason I challenged myself to go into battle, even though I found out afterward that I didn't like it.

And while I wasn't able to dash in and save him like I imagined, we still protected each other together. It's thanks to Masamune that I can feel good about staying with him in the Sengoku. 

Masamune and I had talked a little that morning --

          After we'd spent the night together, he'd made me breakfast. We didn't talk about his offer to live with him. Instead, we talked like any normal couple.

          Masamune: "Have you been treating the soldiers the whole time you've been back here?"

          Mai: "The castle is shorthanded on medical staff, and besides, I know most of the guys and wanted to be there for them." Masamune listened thoughtfully. But knowing how much he cared about his people, his reaction surprised me.

          He was frowning.

          Masamune: "Have you been getting any rest? You've got to be tired."

          Mai: "I've been resting. My futon feels like a cloud compared to those stiff mats at camp!"

          Masamune: "That's not the only rest I'm talking about. You need leisure. Still, you look good." Masamune didn't seem to get the answer he wanted, but he dropped it. I returned to talking about work.

          Mai: "Anyway, we've fixed up a lot of patients already. Ieyasu's quick work on that antidote meant no one had any life-threatening complications either. I'm expecting everyone's going to make a full recovery. Haha, I sound like a doctor, not a fashion designer!"

          I smiled, thinking of everyone finally getting out of that room and back to their lives.

          Masamune: "Lass, don't put yourself second. You've got to treat yourself and your desires as most important."

          Mai: ". . . I do."

          Masamune: "All right." With a thoughtful smile, Masamune polished off his miso soup. Quietly, I ate a tender piece of grilled mackerel.