Masamune Date POV Chapter 7

After Masamune and the others had passed through the northern forest and out of Azuchi--

Hideyoshi and Mitsuhide had come to Nobunaga to say their farewells before departure.

Hideyoshi: "My lord, Masamune and Ieyasu left early this morning."

Mitsuhide: "We will be embarking soon ourselves to subjugate Kennyo and his forces."

Nobunaga: "I have high hopes for you." Nobunaga was looking over a letter. He tossed it onto his desk after finishing. "That fireball never ceases to surprise me."

Mitsuhide: "Fireball, my lord? What letter is that?"

Nobunaga: "A message from Mai, saying she was going with Masamune."

Hideyoshi: "WHAT?!"

Mitsuhide: "How very amusing."

Hideyoshi: "No, it's not! This is serious!" Mitsuhide just laughed dryly. Hideyoshi looked worriedly out over the balcony.

Nobunaga: "She thought it better to go than ask for my leave. I believe she's in love with Masamune."

Hideyoshi: "Lord Nobunaga, should I bring her back?"

Nobunaga: "No. It will be far more entertaining to see what she does next."

Hideyoshi: "But she has no training. No experience. We can't send her into battle like that."

Nobunaga: "Hideyoshi, I'd almost think you had feelings for her."

Hideyoshi: "I'm just worried, my lord."

Nobunaga: "Let Mai do as she wishes. And Masamune too. I've never seen him show such attachment to one woman. How rare and interesting our fireball turned out to be."

------------
We'd been riding on horseback for half the day--

She's nervous.  I could see Mai holding the tension in her shoulders as we rode.

          Masamune: "And are you ready to kill?"

          Mai: "I don't know."

          Masamune: "You don't know?"

          Mai: "But I'm ready to support you on the battlefield. That's why I'm here."

I admire her bravery for coming along with me. But if she doesn't loosen up, she's going to tire herself out and that's going to get her killed.  

Masamune: "Someone's made of nerves."

Mai: "Who's made of nerves?! Where are they?!" Mai nearly jumped off the horse.

Masamune: "Don't die of panic before the enemy even shows their face, lass."

Mai: "Masamune, don't mention the 'd' word!" You're fun as always, but it's going to get a lot worse than talk, lass. It'll be a reality, soon.  

Vassal 1: ". . . We'll be getting the chance to take on the Takeda's elite: the Akazonae."

Vassal 2: "That's going to be a hell of a fight. I know I'm excited!" The men were chatting around us. Mai listened, thoughtfully.

Gradually, her change of mood became apparent on her pretty face.

Ieyasu: "You're scared, aren't you?" Ieyasu rode up beside us, his question aimed at Mai.

Mai: "No. A little? But I'll be fine. I just don't understand where all the excitement is coming from."

Masamune: "These guys are all a bunch of battle-loving fools. The more desperate the situation they're in, the more they feel alive."