Masamune Date Chapter 6

Masamune and I left the audience chamber. Side by side, we walked out of Azuchi Castle.

Mai: "Masamune, is it okay for you to just leave war council like that?"

Masamune: "We were at a stopping point. Besides, you're more important." I am? Those are dangerous words, you know.  My heart was fluttering, but this was the opportunity I'd been looking for.

Mai: "Well, since we're here, there is something I've been thinking about." Masamune caught my cheeks in his hands and drew close to me. He looked at me with breathtaking intensity.

Masamune: "I'll listen. Just tell me."

Mai: "We were talking about trying to understand each other."

Masamune: "Yes, we were."

Mai: "Then do you know of a good place to get coffee, I mean tea around here?" After giving me a curious look, Masamune nodded and led me on a familiar road into the castle-town. Here we go. A "date" with Masamune Date. Heh. Okay, those two words don't actually rhyme.  As we walked, my expectations rose, along with my excitement.

------------
Mai: ". . . And on a date, we can have food or drinks, and we talk." Masamune and I were sitting on an outdoor bench, sharing a plate of sweet buns. The food is good and the weather is beautiful. It's actually perfect for a date outdoors.

Masamune: "I see. So, how is the food?"

Mai: "It's good. Really good. This is a good choice." I smiled up at him, enjoying the sweetness of the bun in my mouth.

Masamune: "I'm glad to hear that." Masamune looked at me with a tender gaze while sipping his tea. Come to think of it, why did Masamune leave the council in the first place? Maybe he was bored. He often does things on a whim. Well, I like that about him. We're not doing much talking though. How can I break the ice?  I looked around the shop for something that might make for a good conversation starter.

Mai: "Oh, it's a cat." A tortoise-shell cat, sniffing the air, came closer to us. "Pretty little thing. I wonder if it's a stray?"

Masamune: "I wonder what it tastes like?"

Mai: "Yeah, I-- WHAT? Why would you think that‽"

Masamune: "What's so strange about that? It's a perfectly natural thing to think."

Mai: "No. That natural thing to think is 'How cute!' I've never once wondered what a cat tasted like."

Masamune: "You could be missing out. What if they're delicious?" Our conversations always end up going like this. Well, at least now I know this is one of his jokes.  Masamune bent down and picked a long straw of grass. He waved it at the tortoise-shell, drawing it closer.

Mai: ". . . You aren't trying to catch it so you can find out, are you?"

Masamune: "Maybe." Don't worry, kitty, I'll protect you.  I brought my cup of tea to my lips, keeping a close eye on Masamune and the cat. "Meow. Meowww. Meow-meow!" I nearly snorted my mouthful of tea. Oh my gd, Masamune, don't do that while I'm drinking!

"You all right?" I was still coughing. Masamune's deep meowing had been too cute for words. Was he trying to talk to it?  I coughed to clear the tea from my airway, then burst into laughter.

Mai: "Ha, hahahaha! Masamune, you--!"

Masamune: "What are you laughing about?"

Mai: "Masamune, haha, you were meowing! You looked so silly!"