Masamune Date Chapter 7

After Masamune and the others had passed through the northern forest and out of Azuchi--

Hideyoshi and Mitsuhide had come to Nobunaga to say their farewells before departure.

Hideyoshi: "My lord, Masamune and Ieyasu left early this morning."

Mitsuhide: "We will be embarking soon ourselves to subjugate Kennyo and his forces."

Nobunaga: "I have high hopes for you." Nobunaga was looking over a letter. He tossed it onto his desk after finishing. "That fireball never ceases to surprise me."

Mitsuhide: "Fireball, my lord? What letter is that?"

Nobunaga: "A message from Mai, saying she was going with Masamune."

Hideyoshi: "WHAT?!"

Mitsuhide: "How very amusing."

Hideyoshi: "No, it's not! This is serious!" Mitsuhide just laughed dryly. Hideyoshi looked worriedly out over the balcony.

Nobunaga: "She thought it better to go than ask for my leave. I believe she's in love with Masamune."

Hideyoshi: "Lord Nobunaga, should I bring her back?"

Nobunaga: "No. It will be far more entertaining to see what she does next."

Hideyoshi: "But she has no training. No experience. We can't send her into battle like that."

Nobunaga: "Hideyoshi, I'd almost think you had feelings for her."

Hideyoshi: "I'm just worried, my lord."

Nobunaga: "Let Mai do as she wishes. And Masamune too. I've never seen him show such attachment to one woman. How rare and interesting our fireball turned out to be."

------------
We'd been riding for half the day. Beyond Azuchi, the path was mostly untouched plains.

Focus. The battle could start at any time.  I'd been telling myself that every few hours. Minutes, really. Well, first we'd need to stop, set up camp, find the enemy. Or will it be a sneak attack? No, we're sneaking up on them, so--

Masamune: "Someone's made of nerves."

Mai: "Who's made of nerves?! Where are they?!" I nearly jumped off the horse in surprise.

Masamune: "Don't die of panic before the enemy even shows their faces, lass."

Mai: "Masamune, don't mention the 'd' word!"

Vassal 1: ". . . We'll be getting the chance to take on the Takeda's elite: the Akazonae."

Vassal 2: "That's going to be a hell of a fight. I know I'm excited!" The men around us were positively pumped about the prospect of battle. I get being excited about a tough opponent in sports or games, but when said opponent is trying to kill you?  Again, it seemed I was the odd woman out in this sea of enthusiasm.

Ieyasu: "You're scared, aren't you?" Ieyasu was riding next to Masamune and me.

Mai: "No. A little? But I'll be fine. I just don't understand where all the excitement is coming from."

Masamune: "These guys are all a bunch of battle-loving fools. The more desperate the situation they're in, the more they fell alive."

Ieyasu: "They're being led by the biggest battle-loving fool of them all."

Masamune: "What was that, Ieyasu?"

Mai: "Masamune, I have to agree with him."

Masamune: "You too, lass? I can't let that slide. C'mere!" Masamune began to nuzzle my head with his nose and chin until I batted him away.