Masamune Date The Secret Life of Warlords [September 2019] Chapter 1

One quiet evening--

The customer I delivered to today was so pleased with my work! But once I get back to my room, I need to finish up another kimono.  As I walked down the corridor, I planned out everything I needed to do before bed. Oh!  But then I spotted Masamune walking toward me from the opposite direction and rushed up to him.

Mai: "Hi, Masamune! Did you have some work here at the castle today?"

Masamune: "Yes. You coming home from work, too?"

Mai: "Yep." We've both been so busy lately, we haven't seen each other in too long.  I was so happy to run into him, I couldn't stop smiling.

Masamune: "What's with that grin?"

Mai: "Hm?" Was I smiling too much? Impossible!  I pressed my hands to my cheeks as Masamune took a closer look at my face.

Masamune: "You look pale. Have you been eating and sleeping enough?"

Mai: "I've just been a little busy lately."

Masamune: "A little bit? You never admit when you're tired. That's a problem." Sounds like I have him worried.  As Masamune's brow furrowed with concern, I decided to come clean.

Mai: "I have been getting more orders lately. So, I was thinking I should get some new sewing tools to ensure I can make the best kimonos possible. And, if I'm getting new tools, I might as well get the very best. So, I need to work hard to save up the money for them." I didn't want to worry him further, so I showed him a smile.

Masamune: "If there's ever something you want, you can just tell me and I'll buy it for you."

Mai: "Thanks, but it feels good to have a goal to work toward. You know?"

Masamune: "It's just like you to think that way." Masamune's eye narrowed affectionately and he reached toward me-- "If that's how you feel, then I support you one-hundred percent." He ruffled my hair playfully. "I know you're a really hard worker, but don't push yourself too much. Okay?"

Mai: "Thanks. I'll be careful."

Masamune: "Good." I love how kind and considerate Masamune is.  Something as warm as the evening light streaming into the corridor flowed through my chest. Oh, that's right--

Mai: "I should have some free time tomorrow. If you're free too, do you want to do something?" It's been a long time since we had a proper date.  I looked up at Masamune hopefully as I waited for his answer.

Masamune: "Oh, sorry. I have work to do tomorrow. Some official business to see to with Mitsuhide." Aw, I should've known. He's always so busy.  Masamune seemed so apologetic, but I didn't want him to feel bad.

Mai: "Don't worry about it! That was such a last-minute invitation, and it's not your fault that you're busy! Just promise me you won't work too hard either, Masamune."

Masamune: "You got it." A slight smile touched Masamune's lips. "I'll be done with work by nighttime, though. Then I'll come to the castle to see you. So relax and rest up until then."

Mai: "Sounds great!" I get to see him again tomorrow night!  My sinking feelings were suddenly buoyed and Masamune's eye crinkled at my smile

Masamune: "Well, until tomorrow."

Mai: "Oh!" He placed a brief kiss on my cheek. He always manages to surprise me with his kisses that come out of nowhere.  Holding my hand against the place on my cheek where his heat still lingered, I watched Masamune go.