Masamune Date POV The Spark of Love Premium Bonus: Old Scars, Soft Touches Ch 4

In the forest northeast of Azuchi, my men and I had stopped a group of Kenshin's advance scouts. A few hours later, I was with the healers helping to patch up the injured.

Mai: "I've come with supplies. Does anyone need any assistance?"

Masamune: "Mai." I saw the way she grew rigid when she spotted me. I'd thought this before about the lass, but she's really easy to read.  It was clear that when she looked at me, she saw me as I was three days ago--

          Masamune: "Move, or I will kill you."

          Mai: "I won't let you kill Sasuke." With no way to fight me or defend herself, she jumped in front of my sword. Then she cried, telling me she couldn't understand what I was doing.  

          Mai: "I refuse to kill. For any reason. I couldn't bear the people important to me dying, and everyone has someone important to them."

Obviously no one wants to lose the people they care about.  An old memory I could never forget, burned into my psyche played itself again in my mind. But you can't accomplish your goals without sacrifices. I'm the head of the Date clan. I can't go back to the days when I thought like you. But I'm not going to force you to think the way I do, either. 

And that was fine. Mai's beliefs must have come from the life she lived in the future. I understood that. What I couldn't figure out is why I was stung by the look of rejection in her eyes.

Mai: "Here, let me help you."

Masamune: "Thanks." I haven't seen her smile since then. Not even once. But I can remember the tears in her eyes so clearly.  Mai carried the tray of medicine to me as I tended Yojiro. Trying my best to put her at ease I kept my tone business-like.

Masamune: "Mai, pass me the salve."

Mai: "Here." She picked up the jar and held it out to me. I reached to take it, my fingers brushing her hand and I felt a jolt in my arm. Mai pulled away from me and the jar dropped. "Oops! Let me."

Masamune: "Nah, I got it." That was the same hand she slapped me away with.  My thoughts weren't on the salve, which had landed safely on the tatami. I was back in that moment, the last time we'd come so close to touching.

Masamune: "We're going back."

Mai: "'We're' not doing anything. I'm going back, alone."

The slap had been more shocking than painful, but the sensation had stayed with me these last three days. Why, though? Why can't I just forget it?  Without thinking, I reached down to pick up the salve. I immediately regretted it. Pain flared in my arm as the injury there tore open anew. I'd forgotten about the sword wound. 

I bore the pain and picked the jar up, acting like everything was normal. Mai was elsewhere now, handing out clean bandages to the others. Looks like she didn't notice. Good.  After exchanging a few words, I finished up with Yojiro and sent him on his way. Now I'll just find an empty room and take care of this arm.  I pushed myself up slowly. Mai walked over to me.

Mai: "Masamune, can I have a second?"

Masamune: "What is it?"

Mai: "Can I see you ar--MPH!" If she asked about my arm, it wouldn't take long before everyone figured it out. I quickly threw my hand over her mouth. So, she did realize I was injured. She's got good eyes. Guess I'll take her with me for now. "Mmaphamume, whef ghoa--"

Masamune: "Shh. Here." Already people were looking at us quizzically. I led her outside. Once I'd found us an empty room, I let go of her. She glared at me.