Masamune Date Chapter 9

To be honest, I don't want either of us to be here. I don't want him to go into battle injured and weakened. I would have tied him to a bed to stop him.

But I couldn't tell him that. Masamune can't be made to stop. It's not his way. I can't tell him not to go. I'd be telling him to kill some important part of himself. And I want him to stay the man I love. To do that, I'd vowed to myself that I'd protect him and never  let my convictions waver again.

Mai: "If that means killing someone else to do it, then I will." I never thought I'd find myself saying those words aloud. I clutched my rifle. I've got it loaded. I just need to light the match and fire. And that's just pulling the trigger. 

I mentally repeated the steps Mitsuhide had taught me. The first shot is the most important. It's liable to be the only one you get.  Across the plains, I heard an enthusiastic war cry. Our enemies were preparing for battle too. I spied Masamune eyeing the enemy's flag as they raised it.

Masamune: "They're ready. Are you ready, guys? Then let's go!"

Vassals: "Yeah!!" The tall blue flag of the Date clan was raised high in the sky, and the orders for departure were given with a thunderous shout. The soldiers ran out onto the field of battle in formation. Masamune stared quietly as the front line troops clashed.

Mai: "It looks like Masamune is staying back for now."

Ieyasu: "That's because the job of his cavalry is the break through the weak points in the enemy's formation. Once they see a weakness, they can reach the enemy commander in no time. You'll see." Just as Ieyasu said, Masamune, on his black horse, led a squad of horsemen right into the fray.

Mai: "He really did charge right in."

Ieyasu: "Don't get star-struck, we're heading that way too." Ieyasu turned his horse to face a group of his foot soldiers. "Sneak around and take out the enemy's riflemen!"

Troops: "My lord!"

Ieyasu: "Cavalry troops, come with me. We're supporting the Date charge as planned. Mai, stay close."

Mai: "I will." Ieyasu swiftly gave out orders to the rest of his men and rode off in Masamune's direction. The horse Ieyasu had lent me was well trained. Even with no experience on my part, she knew what to do. That gave me a moment to look around us. The field was already scattered with bodies; some dead, some dying. This is war.

Ieyasu: "That's not--"

Mai: "What is it?" Ieyasu's dismayed look was directed at the enemy.

Ieyasu: "Nothing we didn't expect."

Mai: "Ieyasu, just tell me!"

Ieyasu: "You see that man over there, leading the vanguard? That's Kenshin Uesugi. Normally the enemy's commander is SUPPOSED to lead from behind the lines." That's Kenshin? The god of war?  "He must have the same brain trauma Masamune does to want to throw himself onto the front lines like that. Remember what I said about Masamune's cavalry going for the enemy commander? They'll be heading right for Kenshin. Now's the time to keep a really good eye on him."

Mai: "I will." It's so chaotic here and Masamune's already pretty far away from me. If I lose sight of him for even a second, I could lose him for good.

---
At the front, both armies clashed, and the fighting had turned in to an all-out brawl.

Masamune: "Don't flinch! Press through!"