Masamune Date POV Chapter 5

Masamune: "I want to know you too. The things you say really rattle me. I don't know where your ideas come from, or how they make sense to you. But when I threatened them, you started to cry. And I'd rather see you happy than crying." I gently touched Mai's cheek.

There's one thing I want to know. Wait, make that two things. What will make you smile? And why is your smile so beautiful?  I saw in her eyes that she wasn't going to shun my touch anymore.

For me, that was enough. "If you're not smiling, it's hard to kiss you."

Mai: "What‽" Mai pursed her lips in complaint. With a look like that, I'll have to save our next kiss until she's smiling again.  "You'd kiss the same girl you threatened to kill?"

Masamune: "Is that weird?"

Mai: "Yes, it's weird! I wouldn't try to kiss you after trying to kill you!" Mai took my hand off her cheek, looking at me like I'd grown whiskers and a tail.

Masamune: "That's not weird to me at all. It's a reality of my life." You never know when life is going to come to an end. Because we could be enemies tomorrow, that makes seizing the moment all the more important.  

I took her hand in mine and brought it up to my lips. I kissed the back of her hand warmly, gently. "Guess we really do need to understand each other better." I brushed my lips over the tip of her index finger, where her nail met her soft skin.

"I just had an idea. Mai, are you free tonight?"

Mai: "That depends."

Masamune: "It's an opportunity to get to know me."

Mai: "I just want to know what you're fighting for."

Masamune: "If you want an answer now, I can only tell you it's so I stay me. If you want the long answer, then come see me tonight. I'll show you with actions, not with words." Mai's eyes flashed adorably at the implication.

I thought that would get her attention. I could just tell her about dinner, but seeing what she does after this should be a bit more fun.  

"When the sun sets, come to Hideyoshi's place. I'll be in Mitsunari's room."

Mai: "You want to meet in Mitsunari's room? Why?"

Masamune: "Good question." I smiled, intent on keeping up the mystery. "Guess you'll have to come if you want to find out!"

——————
"All the sides are good to go." I was borrowing Hideyoshi's kitchen. After setting the side dishes on the trays, I checked on the broth, satisfied. 

I wanted everything to be hot and ready for Mai's arrival. If she's coming, it'll be soon. I should make Mitsuhide and Mitsunari clean up before she gets there. The room's a mess. Probably got worse just in the time I've been in here.   

I left the kitchen to go talk to them. But as I stood in front of Mitsunari's door, I heard voices inside. Sounds like Mai's arrived.  

Mai: "Good evening. So, Masamune called me here, is he—"

Mitsunari: "Yes, he informed us that you're going to join us for dinner."

Mai: "For dinner? Is that what this is about?" Damn, they spoiled the surprise.  

With the jig up, I opened the door to say hello. Mai greeted my arrival with the surprise I expected. Smiling, I stroked her hair, glad that all my setup had at least gotten that much of a reaction out of her.